Vogue Tires painting

Old 04-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Default Vogue Tires painting

Well i have a 2000 DTS with the vogues, I think the car looks great with the vogues. I know at times the gold stripe fades, but the tread is in good shape. Well i have been searching and searching on how to paint, what color it is etc..... I have found a 99% match, believe it or not I got the paint from walmart "Marigold #120" outdoor latex flat, paid about 7 bucks for a pint, and 4 bucks for some small brushes. Now I washed and painted the trim, you have to go over it a few times, came out beautiful. Now here is the trick, i am not sure how it will hold up to getting washed, i plan on just using mild detergent, nothing abrasive. I will post the results on how good the paint adheres through the washing period. Note: I painted the tire on a flat surface, not while it was on the car, be sure to take your finger to get around the edges on clean up.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

back in the day we had a vendor come around... he'd make a black wall tire a white wall. cant remember of anyone complaining, so... it must of worked out pretty well.

yea, let the forum know how you make out... any pics?
rickyd

Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by royalet
Well i have a 2000 DTS with the vogues, I think the car looks great with the vogues. I know at times the gold stripe fades, but the tread is in good shape. Well i have been searching and searching on how to paint, what color it is etc..... I have found a 99% match, believe it or not I got the paint from walmart "Marigold #120" outdoor latex flat, paid about 7 bucks for a pint, and 4 bucks for some small brushes. Now I washed and painted the trim, you have to go over it a few times, came out beautiful. Now here is the trick, i am not sure how it will hold up to getting washed, i plan on just using mild detergent, nothing abrasive. I will post the results on how good the paint adheres through the washing period. Note: I painted the tire on a flat surface, not while it was on the car, be sure to take your finger to get around the edges on clean up.

did you use sponge brushes?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 AM

I will try to get some pictures, i did manage to wash the tires but not with anything abrasive, i will upload some photos. It didnt come out to bad, it may not be perfect but that depends on the steady hand. I just used the fine artist brushes. But the sponge may be a great idea.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Latex paint on a rubber tire?
Not sure thats going to last.
I think www.eastwood.com might have something.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Yeah guys i was mislead, it looked really nice, 99% match, I goyt vcaught in a nice storm, it came off. Oh well back to the drawing board

Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by royalet
Yeah guys i was mislead, it looked really nice, 99% match, I goyt vcaught in a nice storm, it came off. Oh well back to the drawing board
Did you 1st prime it with rubber/plastic primer ?

I didnt look so hard, but I bet it also comes in gold or you can TINT the white to Gold ?
Here is a start ...

Application Instructions:

1. Clean the tires well. Use paint thinner (or silicon cleaner) to prepare the tire surface you are going to paint. If the tire surface is very smooth and/or glossy, it is good to use some sandpaper.
2. Stir the paint well and often.
3. Paint 3 coats and let each coat dry for 24 hours.
4. Let the tires dry for 24 hours before use.
5. Equipment should be cleaned with turpentine.

The paint is applied with a brush. It is rather thick with good coverage and adhesion. The first coat covers amazingly well. The second coat completely seals the tire and the third coat will make it stronger and more durable against small accidents, such as contact with a curb. The paint dries slowly allowing all brush marks to disappear.

There is a strong possibility that the tires will show a brown (or yellow) colored rubber-softening material through the paint. Triple layered paint will reduce this discoloration. If the tires are brand new this might be a problem. Then four or even five thin layers of the paint is needed to close in this brown softening material.

If the plan is to spray the paint, please use Toluene as a thinner.

To help keep water and dirt away it is good to spray STP brand Son Of A Gun on the tires, two or three layers before the first drive. It is also a good idea to have tire cleaner in the car, to clean all dirt and grease from the white walls after a journey to the countryside.

FOR BEST RESULTS

Before painting, sand the tires and use a Silicone-Remover (Spirit Wipe) to clean the tires and get rid of all dirt and silicone.
Paint the tires with 3 layers of WTP.
Use the Westley´s Bleche-Wite and the sponge to clean off dirt and dis-coloration from the whites.
To achieve a "perfect" curved paint line it is best to outline the desired whitewall area using common automotive painter's tape (pin stripe tape). After painting, the painted outlines must be scored to prevent tearing the paint upon removal of the tape."

Here is the SEARCH string ...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=rubbe...fp=_rpp-4zAm3I

Last edited by Stealth; 04-24-2009 at 07:48 PM.