Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Discuss anything suspension related within.

Wheel shake/shimmy over 63 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wheel shake/shimmy over 63 MPH

returning to the topic at hand ?

ORIGINAL: Jimkana

Hello,
I picked up my 02 STS used with about 60k miles, it always seemed to have a tire shake. The dealer was a friend and his guys went over and over this car replacing and rebalancing etc but still it shook.
Finally we all agreed it must be the tires (lots of complaints on the internet concerning the Goodyears on it seemed to back that theory...)
So we drove it that way for about 25k miles.

Lately theGoodyears just wouldn't keep air for more than a couple days without popping warnings... and they made a kind of "squishing" sound at low speed... and the ride was deteriorating...These Goodyear's were not all that worn but they looked/sounded awful and there was that shaking at speed.

As a resultI put a new set of Michelin's on it to the tune of about $1k.
The ride changed dramatically... Itrides/handles like new...
EXCEPT:
On the way home it started to shake at about 63mph so afterjust oneday I took it back and had all four tires rebalanced... and rotated...Although the shake seemed to "change" in quality it is still there.

So here I am: 2 different sets of pretty expensive tires, at least 4-5 balances done between them and lots of eyballs all over the car yet I still have this shake...

It really takes away from the enjoyment of driving this beautiful car...

I do also have an RSScode C0620 Right Front Position Sensor malfunction, but that only started recently after I had some work done under the hood...
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Jim

Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Default RE: Wheel shake/shimmy over 63 MPH

Well, according to yet another alignment professional, he seems to think the tires/wheels are "egg shaped". Now I've wittnessed the rear wheels being balanced and I have to agree they seem to "hop" a bit. Now, if this is true, wouldn't that vib/shake/shimmy be there constantly? Also, does anyone else, living up north, notice the shake is less noticable when the temps are low? Some mornings when it's 0 - 20 above I feel it less.

So, I went and put two new uniroyal tires on. According to the alignment guy, more expensive tires, esp good years have more rubber, and they are "harder" if you will. He said sometimes it's harder to "true" wheels that have more rubber. It sounds logical, but just wondering the validity of this. The uniroyals do seem to hide the shake better, but it still rears it's ugly head. He swore it wasn't in the front end, but I know at times I do feel it in the steering wheel. Esp when you crank it from side to side goin down the hyway.

Is this just a cadillac fluke? Something they swept under the rug hoping mainstream buyers wouldn't get one of the bad apples? Maybe this needs looked into? I work with a gal who's 02 Deville does the same thing.

One more thing. Do the wheels matter? I have the 16" star like rims. Does anyone have this problem with the 17" rims? I do like the way they look better anyway! LOL!

The saga continues............... please any and all comments, ideas, stories are welcome. Let's figure this out if we can. Thanks! K

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Hey guys, I have '00 STS and have same shake/shimmy problem at about 65 MPH. I have Yokohamas (Avid S4) with almost 30K miles (car has 104K miles). I'd say shimmy and vibration started about 10-12K miles ago. Tires are also noisy at higher speeds. I have not tried to change the tires yet as they still have plenty of tread left but am going to get it checked out to see if anyone has a clue as to why this is happening.

I also have an oil leak (rear main seal) that started at about 75K miles. I owned a '95 STS that had a similar leak at the same mileage. My car used to use burn/leak about a quart of oil 2K miles after oil change but appears to be about a quart every 1K miles now. I love the car but have grown weary of the persistent oil leaks that the Northstar apparently has as well as the vibration which has diminshed my enjoyment of driving the car. I also look forward to any information someone "in the know" may have for us.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Certified Members

imo..... i think we are all have a wheel bearing problem. that is what i have found out with mine
rickyd

Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 PM

OK so to throw more wrinkles into the mix!!

My "shake/shimmy" is a constant "rythmic sweep" through the car. It appears to start on the drivers side and move to the passenger side time after sweet time. It's definitely a "come and go" type vibe. New tires.......(again)....... on the back have stopped nothing. Will have the wheel bearings checked out, and HOPE that is what it is!

It's getting to the point to where no one wants to touch it around where I live, lol! COWARDS!!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Certified Members

imo these cadillacs are unlike other gm cars, in that they are built better. especially, suspention on an sts is so different. my wheel bearing prob was over looked by three techs and it wasnt a reality until i told them to check it...... hope that helps yours dude
good luck, let me know
rickyd

Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by rickyd
imo these cadillacs are unlike other gm cars, in that they are built better. especially, suspention on an sts is so different. my wheel bearing prob was over looked by three techs and it wasnt a reality until i told them to check it...... hope that helps yours dude
good luck, let me know
rickyd

So if you don't mind me asking, what wheel bearing was it? Was it costly? Like you I seem to have to "force" the issue on these so called "experts". Just doesn't feel like a balance problem. Have you heard anything on the 16" wheels? Are they just inferior to better aftermarket rims? Thanks again! We might be getting somewhere! Kevin

Old 02-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by wgoodlin
.................................................. .
.........My car used to use burn/leak about a quart of oil 2K miles after oil change but appears to be about a quart every 1K miles now. I love the car but have grown weary of the persistent oil leaks that the Northstar apparently has as .............................
Is your car "actually" leaking oil ? Are there puddles underneath it ?
Is it actually burning oil ?
Or is it just regular consumption ?
These N#s do consume a lot of oil. To need to add a few liters between oil changes is not out of the ordinary.
Depending on the season, whos driving, how its being driven, etc, etc, the oil consumption will change.
High oil consumption though, is the norm for the N#

I have heard that "Road Force Balancing" is where to start for the shimmy. Actually getting rid of the good years is where to start. And then Road Force. A quick search should give a place in your area that does it.
Have to do the Road Force Balancing every time a tire is removed from a rim. Also (I think???) when ever tires are rotated.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 PM

Well, I have had the same problem, mine is a 2000 STS, same ole story here. 3 front end shops, 2 tire shops. I have changed tie rod ends, wheel bearings, strut seats, tires & wheels. Problem still there, I don't have a clue & neither does anybody else that has looked at it. Have not checked the local dealer, they have not been a Cadillac dealer for very long so I'm not sure how well they will do.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Certified Members

my vibration is back.... im going to have the rack, (steering) looked at when possibly.
rickyd

Quick Reply: Wheel shake/shimmy over 63 MPH