Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Discuss anything suspension related within.

rear air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Default rear air suspension

I have a 01 sls... i noticed my rear air shocks had holes in them.. so i replaced the shocks with new ones. come to find out they are not pumping up. i first check fuses and relays.. they were not the problem. then checked to see if pump would work by using jumper wire and it works.. i then proceeded to the level adjustment on the frame, i put it all the way up and no pump. i check to make sure there was power going to and from the level adj and there is. when i pulled relay out to make sure there was power reaching that point i got nothing. i am at a lose right now. what might be the issue at the relay?? any help would be appriciated!! might it be a broken wire or another componet that is bad.. Thank you guys!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Default Automatic Level Control

I will help but I need more information. There are four conductors at the relay. With the relay pulled, please verify that there is 12 volts at one conductor with the ignition off, it is fed by the ELC 30 A fuse. Also verify that there is 12 volts at an adjacent, not diagonal, conductor with the ignition on.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

It maybe ELC sensor. When you manually power up pump will it inflate shocks and hold pressure?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 PM

thank you for your reply slowroll... i pulled the relay and used jumper wires to manually run the pump and it worked and held air. i only had power at one of the conductors with the car on or the car off. Im thinking about just changing the level sensor and seeing where i get. first im going to check the price I already unhooked it from the frame and pushed it up and nothing happeded so im thinking it is a safe bet it is bad. there was power going to the level sensor but when i seperated the wires that go to the pump i had no power to the green wire only to the red. is that a good indication that the sensor is bad? Thank you again slowroll

Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM

and thank you 2001_Seville_SLS.. i just looked at the last post. thanks again guys!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Default Automatic Level Control Relay

Originally Posted by 2001slswhite
i only had power at one of the conductors with the car on or the car off.
There should be power to two of the conductors at the ELC Relay with the ignition ON. The Automatic Level Control Module (ALC); or if you have a F45 car, the Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension Module (CVRSS); is the level sensor that controls the ELC relay by providing a ground to the relay control circuit. If you do not have power at the second conductor at the ELC relay with the ignition ON, then the problem is upstream of the relay. It is most likely not the level sensor, be it an ALC or a CVRSS.

there was power going to the level sensor
If your car does not have an F45 RPO, then there will be four power supplies and a ground to the ALC. The brown wire is hot at ON via the IGN3 fuse. The orange wire is ALWAYS hot via the CVRT fuse. The white wire is ALWAYS hot via the ELC fuse and compressor exhaust relay control circuit.

The wire you care about is the yellow wire which should be hot at ON via the ELC relay control circuit. Since you only had power at one of the relay conductors when the ignition was ON, and it was the switched power for the compressor; then the ALC, which acts as a switch, does not have power to control the ELC Relay.

I don't think there is a problem with the ignition switch, because you would be experiencing problems with other systems on circuit 300. If your rear blower and a few other systems are not working; then the problem is with the ignition switch, a bad connector, or a break in the orange wire between the ignition and the rear fuse block.

If your rear blower works and you do not have power at the control side of the ELC relay; then the problem is most likely at rear fuse block conductor V11 where the ELC relay mounts. It is fed by an orange wire on circuit 300 when the ignition switch is ON.

Last edited by 2001_Seville_SLS; 05-24-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM

ok here is what is going on guys.. i got a ALC from the junk yard and tried it. still didnt work.. i dont know if I have a F45 suspension. I dont have level a sensor at all for wheels, just at the left rear. hope that helps.. I dont know where to go from here. I read what you said about the yellow wire but didnt really understand what i needed to check. i dont want to take to much of your time but any help is greatly appriciated!!!! if you need more info i will reply as soon as i can. Thank you guys. ps just to clairfy there is no power at conductor that is supposed to be hot when running. just at the one that is hot all the time.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Default Automatic Level Control Relay

It doesn't matter if your car is a F45 or not because both types need ignition ON power at the ALC relay control conductor.

Please answer the following questions, because they will narrow down your search for the break in the ELC relay control circuit.

Are your doors and windows operating correctly?
Is your dash display working correctly?
(If the above items do not operate correctly, start at #3 below.)

Is your rear blower working?
Does your electric release park brake work correctly?
Can you shift out of park without pressing the brake pedal?
(If the above items do not operate correctly, start at #9.)
(If the above items operate correctly, start at #14.)

The power to the ALC relay travels as follows:
1. Battery positive.
2. Circuit 1, a black wire from battery to rear fuse block.
3. Rear fuse block IGN SW Fuse 15 Amp.
4. Circuit 540, an orange wire from rear fuse block to the ignition switch.
5. In Line Connector C200, position A12
6. Circuit 540, an orange wire from C200 to ignition switch.
7. Ignition switch connector C2 position A.
8. Ignition switch.
9. Ignition switch connector C2 position C.
10. Circuit 300, an orange wire from the ignition switch to C201.
11. In Line Connector C201 position A11.
12. Circuit 300, an orange wire from C201 to rear fuse block.
13. Rear fuse block connector C1 position A11.
14. Rear fuse block position V11, the relay control conductor at the ELC relay.

Last edited by 2001_Seville_SLS; 05-25-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Default F45 Suspension or Non-F45 Suspension

i dont know if I have a F45 suspension. I dont have level a sensor at all for wheels, just at the left rear. hope that helps.
The F45 suspension for the 2000 and 2001 models has a CVRSS with four sensors, one at each of the wheels.

The Non F45 suspension has an ALC with one sensor at the left rear wheel.

2002 and newer models might have a F55 suspension with four sensors.

The RPO codes specific to your car, such as F45, are all listed on the underside of the spare tire cover. The codes are associated with your serial number. There are web sites that will provide the list if you provide the serial number.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Default 2001 deville rear air shocks

my car looks like a low rider. trying to find out why my rear end will not air up. i just noticed a fuse for my air pump is bad. put in another one but no help. should i jack it up and let it air up then? please help..

Quick Reply: rear air suspension