Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Discuss anything suspension related within.

rear end kicks to passager's side over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 AM
Default rear end kicks to passager's side over bumps

This is an odd one for me, I have a 2000 caddy eldorado. The car drives straight down the road, like hands off the steering wheel straight. There is no weird noises coming from the rear at all.

I have replaced the rear knuckle ***'y and wheel bearing ***'y with sensors on both sides. This did fix the traction control and the abs issues but it did not fix the rear wanting to kick out over bumps.

The "service stability control system" is coming on. how do I service it? or read the codes on it? The check engine computer doesn't seem to be connected to this system. When I plug the OBDII in I get no codes.

So, is it an aliment issue or something in the stability control system. HELP its screwing with my smooooooooth Cadillac ride.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

Kicking out - either alignment is out or something is worn. Car should have been aligned after rear knuckles where replaced.

Car has a limited OBD if with key on press off and pass warmer at the same time codes will come up on DIC. The diagnostic functions aren't there anymore. You can only read and clear codes.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Kicking out - either alignment is out or something is worn. Car should have been aligned after rear knuckles where replaced.

Car has a limited OBD if with key on press off and pass warmer at the same time codes will come up on DIC. The diagnostic functions aren't there anymore. You can only read and clear codes.
Ya, I get that I should align it. I just didn't know if the stability system had the ability to throw the car in one direction or another. Lets say, like the air ride shock is not holding the correct pressure in one of them.
I'll try to clear the service stability control tonight and get any codes off of it. I'll schedule an alignment for next week also. But man it just seems that if it was alignment that it wouldn't drive straight down the road and that I would see odd wear patterns on the tires. I'm new to caddy's so who knows. Thanks! I'll let you know.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:46 PM

Ok the code its throwing is PCM101, whats that?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Tech Certified Members

Stability control will not controls shock dampening and steering effort, It doesn't turn the car. Stability codes are normally C codes. P0101 relates to MAF sensor - poor connection are dirty or damaged sensor air leak between sensor and engine. Other possibility there is a "boot" between manifold and EGR housing The EGR gases can burn through it eventually causing P0171 and P0174 along with the P0101.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:42 AM

how do I clear the codes on the DIC?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

After codes cycle through to PCM? fan speed up Clear Codes will come up fan speed up again should come up codes cleared.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 AM

Ok, So I went to the shop to see about an alignment. They said, that the drivers side rear wheel bearing was bad. I just replace it! The front passagers side wheel bearing was bad and the inter tie rod on the drivers side front was bad.

So I ordered a new rear wheel bearing and two new front wheel bearing and the inter tie rod. The rear wheel bearing I received was bad again. Stupid china! So I ordered from a different source and this time the bearing feels good.

As I sit right now, the car has 4 new wheel bearings, 2 new rear knuckles and a new inter tie rod. It goes in for an alignment today. Lets hope all is corrected.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Humm... its aligned and the shop cannot fine anything else wrong but the service stability system warning is still on. I guess its time to go to the dealer and see if they know what the issue is.

The good news is the back doesn't kick out anymore, now its just a warning light.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Tech Certified Members

If you use obd to get codes it would be most likely are a "C" code in TCS, RSS, or SSS as they cycle through.

Quick Reply: rear end kicks to passager's side over bumps