Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Discuss anything suspension related within.

Need Suspension Overhaul Opinions/Experience needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Default Need Suspension Overhaul Opinions/Experience needed

I took the STS to the shop the other day andI need new front struts. To get Delco parts for both sides and labor would be close to 1750 for that and some other minor work. I aboutcrapped my pants. ThenI started thinking about replacing the rears, the cost of replacing the rears that is andI then became quesy. SoI started looking into passive systems andI was wondering if anyone has any opinions or expierence, owner or tech wise, with going from active to passive suspension on cadillacs. And also what brand suspension did they use or switch to. And also if the switch left the service stability system light on. I hear of some systems that take care of this and others that dont.

Looking for expierence and opinions with theses systems

Touring sedan

Old 04-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Default RE: Need Suspension Overhaul Opinions/Experience needed

Also ifI go with a passive system doI need to remove the pump mor canI just leave it in?

Touring Sedan

Old 04-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Sorry Here are the links to the systemsI have been looking at,

http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog....t=39#*CAD-R5NS

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...id6_pid40.html

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/eng...lle-98-04.html

Touring Sedan

Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

will be watching this thread touringsedan, am very intrested my self how and what you decide to do with your STS. by the way, what year might your Seville be, and what are the miles? i do know the boys around here talk alot about Arnott, plusAtnottis a sponsor here onthe Forum.

please keep the Forum updated with whats goin-on......

rickyd

Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 AM

rickyd,

STS is a 99 with 79000 miles on it.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 AM

WhatI have found out so far,

Suncore: Must cut wires to install inline solenoid resitors

Strutmasters: " What special modifications must I make to install the conversion kit?
None! Our "ready to use out of the box" replacement struts bolt right on in place of the old air struts you are removing, using the same tools used to remove the old ones. Remember, we supply fully assembled and tuned struts - NOT a shock and a spring that you must assemble before using." No install instructions readilly available and they are not open today but from apearence of picture looks to be the same deal as the Suncore kit.

Arnott: Fronts; plug in, no wires to cut and tape up.
Rears; plug in as well but they only sell passive air shocks.( are passiveairshocksthe traditional rear shock of choice for typical cars)

Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Really no one has any opinions or expierence,tech or consumer wise, positive or negative to share??

come on i know you want to tell

Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hi Touring!!!

I replaced all my struts ('93 Allante) with passive Arnotts on all 4 corners. I love them - the ride isn't Caddy float anymore - I am not sure what the STS is going to do with them - I would imagine that they will be a bit more stiff than what you have currently - but, if you are like me, not a bad exchange.

I love being able to go into corners fast, and stay flat with no body roll, and not nose dive with hard braking, the car now snuggles down to the road - but the best part is the lack of motion sickness after you go over railroad tracks.

Never a code - the by-pass that Arnott has works great. As close to 'plug and play' as you can get -

And, yes cost was a factor - just one strut (the right front) was over $1000 - no labor - just the part, I got the whole system done for less than that, with labor.

I also had all the bushings replaced (rubber where they rotate and poly for the ones that compress), along with the tie rod ends - it really did stiffen up the suspension - it is what I wanted though. It feels a lot more "german" now.

I think I have the best of all worlds - German type suspension, American Muscle, wrapped in an Italian body...

Be sure and have the car aligned after the struts are installed - they will really throw out the alignment -