Street and Strip Made a trip down the dragstrip or around a road course recently? Maybe a dash from a stop light? Tell us about it here!

Fox's N* vs a 5.0 ?

Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default Fox's N* vs a 5.0 ?

ORIGINAL: foxpaws

I have an Allante with a northstar, and it is nice to be able to smoke 5.0 'stangs. Tell us if your tuner/mapper can do anything with the computer - I have been told unless you have access to the Delphi codes it is really hard to do.

We actually just ported the air intake - since there wasn't any cold air intakes out there for it - and upgraded the air filter to an AFE dry - I don't like oiling filters - lazy I guess. And cleaning up the exhaust added many, many ponies... https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11819/tm.htm

Fox,

say what with the 5.0 Stangs?

Remember, there are several types of 5,.0's:
Carbs ..
EFI,
Carbs MODS
EFI Mods
Supercharged
GT's any of the above.
Any of the above, automatic ir manual 5 speeds
Lastly, OK driver and extraordinary drivers.

Now, can you please be specific?

I do have to explain it to my '86 GT as she is getting quite upset over such implications,
if she wasnt RED, she be RED by now.

Of course, to her, an Allante is an Allante since she rooms with one, now and then.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Fox's N* vs a 5.0 ?

Many mustang owners shocked when encountering the little known Northstar during the mid 90s. The FOX body cars carried weight advantage vs. the ETC element of surprise. By the late 90s it was well known that the Northstar was no slouch in the light to light grand prix. Foxpaw's little known 4.6 Allante could sneak up on one pretty easy

Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Certified Members

I love watching stealth get so excited every time I mention 'stangs - and beating them

Last time - new body ('05 or newer) 5.0 gt - black and gold - mid 20s guy with his girl in the car. At the first light he heard my car (there is one problem with the race tuned exhaust - it sounds like I want to race...) and kept looking at me - dropped it at green and squealed rubber. I let him go - saw that he wasn't used to street light racing and met him at the next light - smiled and lit up the Caddy - I just couldn't resist, put it into 2nd (love the smart transmission in this car) and dropped it at the green - the allante got a better start - didn't spin the tires like he did - (big time lost there) and then he missed the shift point from 1st to 2nd (short shifted it - just like he did his 'practice' run - I guess he didn't realize he should let it run up the power curve)... easy win. Tried to get me to race again at the next light - once was enough - plus, the allante did all I asked of it - why push it again...

cleancaddy (Frank) your 5.0 would have taken the Allante - I know pretty much what to challenge and what not. At a mile high am running upper 5s - low 6s in 0-60 (all that really matters in street light racing).

your convertible fox body and my allante are similar in weight - about 3800 lbs.

As far as nitrous and supercharging the northstar - check with the Fiero crowd - they are constantly taking old Northstars and mod'ing them with all sorts of changes... I don't see a lot of nitrous on the northstar - I might be a little worried about the headgaskets...

Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Over confidence can lose a race in the frist 2 seconds.

I have taken 5.0s with my 4100, but they didnt even think i could, so they were in the dust
before they knew what hit them. The element of surprise still works.

It they are serious competitors, I have no chance, none .. not with the 4100.
Fox, has other ways to slow down the competition .. count on it.

But the stock carb 5.0's dont have a chance against a V8 N*, no matter what.
It is really embarrasing to see a 75 year old lady on a ElDo smoke a carb 5.0 ..
really embarrasing, specially if his buddies are sitting in the car.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:05 AM

Those Mustang 5.0 cars are real stiff riding cars too much for the street being the conditions of these roads are.