Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

97 Deville blew head gasket & I need advice on price

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Default 97 Deville blew head gasket & I need advice on price

Hey Cadillac Forum,
I have a 97 Deville that blew a head gasket or (from what I've been able to find out)something to do with the 97,98,and99 years,there was a problem with the head bolts and threads on block stripping out.A major job that auto mechanics will not touch.My question is on parting out the car.This car belonged to my Dad,which served him well while he was still here.The ac compressor needed replacing at the time I got it.Afterwards the blower/heater motor and module went out,the transmission went out,supposedly the relay bank sockets went out.I got all those problems fixed.I also had to replace the radiator and coolant resevior.This was all done within the last 3 years.I have all the receipts for work done.The body and interior are in great shape.The car has 155K miles on it.What would be fair or asking price for this car?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 AM

What would be a fair price for a 97 Deville with a blown head gasket.From what I've been able to find out,this year of the Deville there was a problem with head bolts and block threads stripping out.It seems no local mechnic really wants to tackle such a job.Anyway,during the three years I have had the car,I have replace heater blower motor and module,relays and relay socket bank,rebuilt transmission,radiator,coolant resevior,brakes and rotors,ac compressor.The car has 155K miles on it.The body and interior are in great shape.Can't really part it out from where it sits so I'm want to sell it as is. Again,what would be a good asking price?I have receipts on all above work described.Obviuosly,I would like to get as much as I can so I can use the money to find another car.Thanks for any advice and help you could share.Bill

Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Default advice on price

Hey Cadillac Forum,
I have a 97 Deville that blew a head gasket or (from what I've been able to find out)something to do with the 97,98,and99 years,there was a problem with the head bolts and threads on block stripping out.A major job that auto mechanics will not touch.My question is on parting out the car.This car belonged to my Dad,which served him well while he was still here.The ac compressor needed replacing at the time I got it.Afterwards the blower/heater motor and module went out,the transmission went out,supposedly the relay bank sockets went out.I got all those problems fixed.I also had to replace the radiator and coolant resevior.This was all done within the last 3 years.I have all the receipts for work done.The body and interior are in great shape.The car has 155K miles on it.What would be fair or asking price for this car?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

With blown head gaskets car is not worth very much maybe 800.00 at best in a private sale. Dealer may give you enough for a qualifying down payment on something he is selling, but under 400.00 normally if he will take it all. With all the repairs that have already been done it maybe more cost effective to repair vs. replace car. Northstars are not any worse than any other aluminum engine as far as failures and cost of repair of similar type engine. It is less expensive to replace engine with a guaranteed used one, than to repair most of the time.