Paint and Body Tech Looking for some information on body work or a new paint job? Talk about it here!

Your first paint job

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Your first paint job

What was your first paint job like? Was it Big? Small? or just in the middle? Difficult? Easy? A big mess? It could be anything, for instance, a motorcycle fender, gas tankor aflat piece of steel.

I remember the first thing I painted was a license plate I had to make in high school. It was fun but it did not turn out very well. I learned with PPG paint,I have goobered up a couple things [sm=oopssign.gif], but I learned from those. I still do it since I enjoy it wether its my own piece or somebody elses. I just love painting, especially when I get to tape n paint flamesetcwith different colors, the kustom stuff is fun. It kinda helps that my cousin restores cars too.

What is your story in a nut shell or two?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Your first paint job

Back in 76 or so I did a rear quarter panel on my sister's 73 Astre, a Canadian Pontiac re-trimmed Vega. I went to an auto body supply to get the paint and the local parts store for Bondo. Overall it was ok, the paint was a good match but it was so orange peeled it was not funny. It never had the same lustre as the rest of the car either.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Big5DoubleZero

What was your first paint job like? Was it Big? Small? or just in the middle? Difficult? Easy? A big mess? It could be anything, for instance, a motorcycle fender, gas tankor aflat piece of steel.

I remember the first thing I painted was a license plate I had to make in high school. It was fun but it did not turn out very well. I learned with PPG paint,I have goobered up a couple things [sm=oopssign.gif], but I learned from those. I still do it since I enjoy it wether its my own piece or somebody elses. I just love painting, especially when I get to tape n paint flamesetcwith different colors, the kustom stuff is fun. It kinda helps that my cousin restores cars too.

A camo on a F-4 Phantom
easy to do, impossible to screw up .. and at the end, looked darn good.

one of these ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/6C04D75F40994255B42A9C806F78BA6C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Stealth

A camo on a F-4 Phantom

one of these ...

There has to be a pattern to follow ?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Certified Members

Does painting brothers and sisters count? ... I started by painting models and toy cars, I knew nothing of masking or prep. Runs meant needs more paint, by the time I got to full size anything I had learned a lot, except why the color on the cap of the spray can will match your car but the paint within it wont.....

Old 12-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

Yeah if it were your sisters or brothers or friendsetc. anything you painted being your own thing or another persons.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM

i painted my 89 lfeetwood about2 year ago. it didnt turn out notas good as i had hoped. The car was orginally grey and i was going to repaint it grey but for some reason it turned out black. i used inron paint. I borrowed my dads old binks #7 paint gun and a 35 year old air compressor. I started it one early morning on my driveway before my neigbhoors woke up. The darn compressor started to shoot out water. I got all sorts of filters and had to sand it down 2 more times. It had a bad oarnge peel effect. But i was 17 years old and had no idea how to paint a car, so i guess it could of turned out worse. i always wanted a black car anyway.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

ORIGINAL: Stealth

A camo on a F-4 Phantom

one of these ...

There has to be a pattern to follow ?

nope !
freehand tape, mask off what cannot get paint, start spraying.