Paint and Body Tech Looking for some information on body work or a new paint job? Talk about it here!

Dealer body repair is close, but I can see the difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Default Dealer body repair is close, but I can see the difference

My wagon was hit in the LH bumper/TAILGATE/fender two weeks ago. When I went to pick it up yesterday, I could se that the LH quarter panel had been painted at a different time than the rest of the car. It has a slightly darker look and a different surface gloss. The small fender dent next to the tail lamp was patched in with a matching blue color, but the dealer insisted on clear coating the entire quarter panel, which now looks like it was repainted with a closely matching color - but not the same as the rest of the car.

Why couldn't the dealer's shop just clear coat the patched area and buff out the overlap. I had that kind of repair done on my 2004 Equinox, and in 2 or3 places on my 66 corvettes clear coat over the years, and none of it ever showed, AT ALL.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Certified Members

Talk to body shop manager first. If insurance was involved talk to them next, and travel to food chain until satisfied. Some adjusters will "see what they can get away with". However some colors don't blend well. Good Luck just be persistent and fair

Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Banned

Yeah firstly you have to talk with the manager,if nothing could happens so involve the insurance officer in it.Be careful next time and repair the body from an experienced mechanic and suggested one.