Cadillac CT6 The stunning new full-sized luxury sedan offers impressive performance and even a future plug-in hybrid powertrain.

ELR and CT6 - great cars that don't go far enough!

Old 11-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Default ELR and CT6 - great cars that don't go far enough!

The ELR is beautiful and the CT6 hybrid will be even more attractive. I've owned several Cadillacs in the past - I love the styling of the cars and the brand itself. But I won't buy an ELR or a CT6 because they're not fully electric vehicles. Right now I have a Tesla Model S. I'd love to buy a Cadillac but I won't because the Cadillacs use gasoline. Cadillac should just dump the whole hybrid idea and sell an emissions-free pure electric. Hybrids aren't that efficient and they're not that clean and, in my view, they don't make much engineering sense. The range of a battery-powered car would be so much greater if it didn't have to pull around a combustion engine and a tank full of fuel.

For reasons I can't fathom, Cadillac and GM just won't let themselves believe that there's a solid business case behind a pure electric. But hasn't Tesla proved that pure EV buyers are out there? I did some research at this website: Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard. So far in 2015, Cadillac has sold 822 ELRs. Tesla has sold 18,900 Model Ss! In fact, I'd guess that Tesla has probably sold more Model Ss than all of GM's hybrids combined. Maybe there's just something in the corporate and political culture at GM that just won't let them believe they can make money selling pure electrics. Plus, cutting carbon emissions has to be a priority, so selling zero-emission vehicles is the right thing to do - and Cadillac needs to do it!

Another note. No luxury two-door pure electric that I know of is available. If the ELR were a pure electric, I would've been first in line to buy one!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 PM

Has anyone calculated the amount of fossil fuel it takes to produce enough electricity to charge an electric car. Just a thought .

Old 05-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Default Energy sources for electric cars.

Ideally, the answer would be zero because the electricity used to charge electric cars would come exclusively from renewable sources such as wind and solar. Prior to transitioning - or during the transitioning - to those sources, the energy would come from non-renewable, traditional sources like nuclear power, coal burning, and natural gas and diesel fuel burning. Each non-renewable source probably has a unique 'amount of fuel' needed to charge an electric car. So, I think the answer depends upon which electric utility is providing the energy and which type - or combination of types - of non-renewable sources they're using to produce the power the endusers buy to charge their vehicles. No doubt, somebody has made the calculation and reached conclusions. But charging the cars with energy from renewable sources would make the question moot.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 PM

No need to worry about the ELR, it ceased production three months ago.

Even as a fully-electric vehicle, it probably would have tanked. GM did a poor job of hyping it up the way Tesla has done, even though it hasn't turned a profit yet.

CC

Old 06-18-2016, 11:24 PM

I just bought a 2014 ELR and am waiting for it to be delivered! It'll be my second car - my other is a Tesla Model S. I'm eagerly awaiting the CT6 Hybrid and would've bought one but my local Cadillac dealer had absolutely no idea when one will be available, what it'll cost, or what options will be available on it.

So, it is absolutely true that Cadillac is very much behind the ball on developing and selling hybrids, let alone a full electric. And it's also true that Cadillac didn't even market that it was selling the ELR. Almost every person I told about buying my ELR had absolutely no idea whatsoever that Cadillac had ever even offered a hybrid. Now, why is that? Why go through all the trouble to make a car and then not try HARD to sell it?

As for profitability, consider Amazon.com - I believe it wasn't profitable for several years after the company was created; it sure is profitable, now! By the way, my Tesla shares have appreciated and I plan on keeping them!