Other US Market Cadillacs 1978 to Present Cadillac Models

98 Catera turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Default 98 Catera turns over but won't start

I have a 98 Catera. I recently had theCrankshaft Position Sensor replaced. Next the radiator fans ceased to work. The mechanic got those fixed, it started fine, and then it spark flashed and would turn over and not start. He thought he had blown the computer, as did thedealer I had it towed to. When I asked him to chek out the car to see if it was worth repairing, less than 50,000 miles on it, it started up fine after not starting at all for him for a few days. This went on for a week and then when I went to pick it up it would not start again. During this time it worked we had some very wet weather. May I add that while I trust the dealer, itdid start for me when I went to retreive some sunglasses. The next day it again would not start.

Where should I direct the mechanic to look for the proble? Any ideas?

Thanks

Geoff Clark

Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 Catera turns over but won't start

classic issues of electriclas - i think they are all wrong.

wire connections and harness connectors.
may i suggest you go to our FAQ and read the e-Ghosts thread there ?

Click here: FAQ FORUM

R&R parts is not the way to go.

ORIGINAL: gwclark

I have a 98 Catera. I recently had theCrankshaft Position Sensor replaced. Next the radiator fans ceased to work. The mechanic got those fixed, it started fine, and then it spark flashed and would turn over and not start. He thought he had blown the computer, as did thedealer I had it towed to. When I asked him to chek out the car to see if it was worth repairing, less than 50,000 miles on it, it started up fine after not starting at all for him for a few days. This went on for a week and then when I went to pick it up it would not start again. During this time it worked we had some very wet weather. May I add that while I trust the dealer, itdid start for me when I went to retreive some sunglasses. The next day it again would not start.

Where should I direct the mechanic to look for the proble? Any ideas?

Thanks

Geoff Clark

Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Default RE: 98 Catera turns over but won't start

Hey what up, I had the same problen with my 1999 catera all i did was to chance the pole in the battery
that fix my problem and check if there are loose too

Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Banned

This model is old so these type of electrical issues occurs in it.So a better option for it to change it all wires connection and properly diagnose it and then nothing major issue occur in it.