Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Due to Theft System?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Default Due to Theft System?

Okay; so I just got my 2nd Caddy (yay!). She's a 1991 Cadillac Eldorado. Everytime when I go to start her up, the screen says: "Starting disabled due to theft system, wait 3 minutes... wait 2 minutes... wait one minute... start." Then she starts right up. Is this b/c the battery is new? Help please?

Jamie Ryan

Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Due to Theft System?

CadillacGirly....is there a way to turn off the security system? maybe thru the DIC, if the 91 has one.......???.........................
i have a question....do you have a sister? jeri ryan

Old 10-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Due to Theft System?

What you are seeing is that key is not being read by theft deterent module.Hopefully car still starting because towing is no cheap.The car has two separate theft deterent systems built into it. One is content ...the one that makes the light flash and horns go off, it will not make car not start.They other is called PASS-KEY the little chip / pellet in key is read by vtd module which allows car to crank,start and run.PASS-KEY I was a little over done it will dissable so many systems that no starts weren't always easy to diagnose.Yes, it can be bypassed, but those who know how to do it should not give that info out - something about GTA could allow for deluxed housing and meeting new friends.Back to your problem mostly causes are loose or damaged pellet in key or wires from lock cylinder to base of column broken or breaking. If key is in good shape it's most likely OK, unless condition only occurs with a certain key. Dont guess by buying new key their not cheap and if lock cylinder is cause you just wasted $20-40.00. dealer has tool to evaluate lock cylinder.If lock cylinder is cause make sure you get brass none chipped key - IT WILL HAVE NEW KEY CODE STAMPED ON IT AND ASK FOR BLANK # because if you lose keys. a new lock cylinder and keys will be required again.Hope it helps