Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

2000 Cadillac Escalade No crank, no start :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Default 2000 Cadillac Escalade No crank, no start :(

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum and hoping the wonderful folks here can help me identify my problem.

My vehicle refuses to start Within the last few months, I have had my battery, starter, and alternator replaced.

About 2 weeks ago, the vehicle no longer started. No crank at all, just a click or two from under the hood (which I can not pinpoint). I've examined the starter relay and ignition switch relays which checked out fine.

My troubleshooting has led me to the ignition control module (or ignition coil) and ,of course, to this forum. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Sincerely,

Frustrated in Las Vegas

Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

Ignition module will cause no start but no crank. Use a test light or volt meter to see if voltage is getting to start terminal of starter. Are there any codes or warning light on?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info, slowroll. There are no warnings or codes. I'll take your advice and test voltage to the starter terminal. It sounds like you believe there is inadequate voltage...

Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 AM

This may not help, but my escalade did this several months ago, it was the anti-theft security system which disabled the car after I used the spare key without a chip. I was told I had to take it to the dealership and the cost would be at least $400. I spoke with a mechanic who was also a locksmith and he told me to try one last thing to try and get the ignition to recognize my chipped key, before the dealership. Lock and unlock the door several times with the fob, then get in the car, and lock and unlock the door a couple more times with the fob, insert key and turn to ON position, {don't try to crank it, just to the ON position} wait and see if the security light goes out,{this may take a few minutes}, if it does, take the key out and wait 30-60 seconds, reinsert the key, turn to ON position, wait ti see that the security light goes out, and try to crank it, if it cranks, let it run for a few minutes then turn it off and repeatedly crank it after making sure the security light goes out each time. It may not be the same problem you are having, but it doesn't cost anything to try, and it may help.
Carol

Old 09-27-2016, 05:25 AM
Default Thank you!!!!

I love my 2000 Cadillac Escalade with over 204,000 miles!Several months ago, my Escalade wouldn't start, heck it wouldn't do anything but click. I was frantic, then I found this site. I read every post about a caddy not starting, and i followed the sage advice. i learned my unchipped spare key had caused the security system to shut the car down. After getting quotes and speaking to the dealership, I knew I could not afford to have a new ignition put in, so as I told my tale of woe to a very nice auto parts worker, he gave me the name of a local mechanic who also happened to be a locksmith. I spoke to him and he confirmed what the dealership told me, but he told me one last thing to try to get my ignition key re-recognized, and I will be danged if it didn't work! I was so very happy, and I owe it all to you great members!! I know that was a long winded thank you lol, but I am long winded lol. Thank you all so very, very much!!!!
Carol Carroll