Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

1994 SLS cooling fan turn on temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Smile 1994 SLS cooling fan turn on temp

Greetings fellow Cad owners. I have had a total of three total Cads so far. 1956 Cad Conv, 1973 with large rear seat area and my (wife's car) current 1994 SLS with the famous heating problems. The final (I hope) problem is determining if the cooling fans are working as cooling fans for the engine temp instead of when head pressure for the A/C tells the fans to turn on at the lower speed. Wow, I used the pharmaceutical miracle chemical formula, Sodium Silicate and much to my amazement, the steam engine now seems to be a normal reciprocating 8 cylinder, 32 valve engine. I have flushed the entire cooling fluids, replaced the silicate solution with clean water and a gallon of new coolant, new water pump, added a second radiator cap fitting in the crossover top radiator hose to make sure there is no air in the cooling system, new plugs, changed the oil and filter and it now runs great, with the temp staying close to 212 to 216 F while idling in the shop. I hope it continues to work as I was dreading removing the "Engine Assembly" to replace the head gasket or a cracked head. I would like to know if the fans are supposed to turn on at approximately the 220 F, which I am now skeptical of letting the engine hit that temp. I have located and tested OK, the fan relay and fuses but where is the engine temp sensor? I have a 1997 Service Manual from my parents 97 SLS but there are definite differences. I need a smog test here in California and need help! Thanks for any advice or discussion of my actions, good or otherwise. This is my first introduction to this forum so, please be helpful, if not, let'er rip.

Del From Turlock, CA

Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by delslane
Greetings fellow Cad owners. I have had a total of three total Cads so far. 1956 Cad Conv, 1973 with large rear seat area and my (wife's car) current 1994 SLS with the famous heating problems. The final (I hope) problem is determining if the cooling fans are working as cooling fans for the engine temp instead of when head pressure for the A/C tells the fans to turn on at the lower speed. Wow, I used the pharmaceutical miracle chemical formula, Sodium Silicate and much to my amazement, the steam engine now seems to be a normal reciprocating 8 cylinder, 32 valve engine. I have flushed the entire cooling fluids, replaced the silicate solution with clean water and a gallon of new coolant, new water pump, added a second radiator cap fitting in the crossover top radiator hose to make sure there is no air in the cooling system, new plugs, changed the oil and filter and it now runs great, with the temp staying close to 212 to 216 F while idling in the shop. I hope it continues to work as I was dreading removing the "Engine Assembly" to replace the head gasket or a cracked head. I would like to know if the fans are supposed to turn on at approximately the 220 F, which I am now skeptical of letting the engine hit that temp. I have located and tested OK, the fan relay and fuses but where is the engine temp sensor? I have a 1997 Service Manual from my parents 97 SLS but there are definite differences. I need a smog test here in California and need help! Thanks for any advice or discussion of my actions, good or otherwise. This is my first introduction to this forum so, please be helpful, if not, let'er rip.

Del From Turlock, CA
under 220F is a bit cold.
fans should come on around 225F/230F, or if you turn on the A/C.
I believe that 240F is the safe upper limit - at that point, open windows, set the heater to 90F, and fans on high.
IF the system tells you to shut the engine down, do something .. do not ignore.

also, one gallon of coolant may not be enough to raise the boiling point of the coolant mix or to protect the metal parts. a 50/50 is what GM calls for and the system has more than two gallons, I believe.

Last edited by stomper; 04-27-2009 at 12:59 AM.