Manual 6spd hesitation/stutter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Default Manual 6spd hesitation/stutter

I just bought a 2008 CTS with a manual trans. What I've noticed, is that upon acceleration, the car will stutter, gradually building up speed. This happens at any speed but more pronounce say, if I'm driving anywhere between 50-80mph, in 5th or 6th gear and floor it to pass someone. It will stutter for the whole duration. Have taken it to top-rated Cadillac dealer in my area and all tests come back clean. Engine software is also at latest revision. Tech said it may be traction-control trying to control the wheels so I've been testing ever since by manually shutting off the traction control. Same results.
I used to be ASE certified (back in the days when it was still called NIASE) and just know something is not right. Any other manual 6spd owners seeing this problem?
Any help or insight would be appreciated. Dealer is willing to help me resolve this if I come up with any new info.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

If it were the TCS attempting to stop the wheels from spinning, the light on the dash would come on. It wouldn't set any codes, tho. I also doubt there is enough torque available with it in 5th or 6th to spin the tires at that speed.
I'd be suspecting an EGR issue, or ign/coil module.
I can't see this as being a trans problem, either. You might want to post this also in the "General Tech" forum, so more folks might see it.

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 05-16-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Default Issue resolved!

Cleaned out the mass air flow sensor which afterwards, caused the engine light to come on. Took it to my local Autozone and they checked the codes on it. Wound up buying a code reader for myself!
Anyway, cylinder 1 misfire.
Not knowing the cylinder numbering on this car, I removed front-most spark plugs. One was ok and the other had quite a bit of white, crusty buildup.
Re-installed in original cylinders but swapped the coils.
Drove and engine light blinked again. Checked code: Cylinder 2 misfire.
Took it to the dealer over the weekend and told them of my diagnosis.
Picked it up 3hrs later and the issue is resolved. They replaced the #2 coil.
No more stutter, acceleration fine now.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

Excellent!! Thanks for updating!!