General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck stalling when towing/stopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Default Truck stalling when towing/stopping

Hey there,

I am new to the forum, but have no idea what to do here, so hopefully someone can help (PLEASE!!!). Here are the items I own and have questions on:

2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV - 63K miles
Towing - 2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantom travel trailer weighing 9K

My truck is STALLING when stopping/applying the brakes, always stalling when I get under 10 MPH, usually when stopping at a stoplight, etc. I cannot get the truck to do it when the trailer is NOT attached. It runs perfectly when not pulling the trailer, but every time I pull the trailer the truck continuously stalls when stopping. Over and above stalling, it will NOT start right up again......it wants to start, but sounds like it is not getting gas or something (by the way, it is not the fuel pump). I have done diagnostics on the truck, had the battery checked on both the truck and the trailer, and both are good. After a few minutes, and with some coaxing, the truck will start back up, but the same problem will continually happen. I turned the brake controller in the vehicle off, and at that point the truck will not stall, but WANTS to......it will dip below the usual RPM range when idling, but rev back up again after I release the brakes. When the truck actually starts back up again, it will display on the heads up that the oil pressure is low, and to "shut vehicle off immediately," however, once I rev the engine or start moving again, that goes away. It will also say "traction control off," and to service stabilitrak and traction control. Once I remove the trailer umbilical cord from the truck, I don't have any issues whatsoever.

I am absolutely stumped, and nobody seems to know what the problem is. I checked to make sure all the wiring was good (from what I could tell) on the trailer brakes. There are no bare wires or shorts that I can tell, but I can only see so much of the wiring.

PLEASE HELP!!! If anyone has had a similar problem, or has any idea of what it can be, please let me know.