General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble with heated seats

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Default Trouble with heated seats

Hello all,
I have a 2001 STS and the heated seats in the front don't seem to be working. I had the dealership replace the elements in both fronts but that only seemed to fix the passenger side. On the driver's side I can hear a click from the control unit underneath the seat when I turn the heat on. It also clicks every 10-15 seconds once it is turned on. I've searched for answers to the problem with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Could the problem be the control unit under the seat?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trouble with heated seats

What did the dealer say when the driver's seat still did not work?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:56 PM

I haven't talked to the dealership yet because the issue isn't under warranty anymore. I had them do the elements just a day beforemy extended warranty expired. And the day I picked up the car was to warm outto tell if the heat was working or not. I normally do the wrenching on my car but for this matter I have no idea whats wrong. Fuses are fine, new elements, but its just that clicking sound the control unit makes under the seat that has me wondering if it needs to be replaced. The passenger side doesn't seem to make that sound, almost seems like a bad relay. I did talk to the service advisor about the clicking sound when I dropped the car off but he seemed to think that was fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

Can't help with your bad repair experence without more info.It is possible the elements are not connected,nobodys perfect.Although some of us know we are.......I suggest to check for voltage at heater element connectors. The clicking noise is from heated seat module it may not be sending voltage to elements.Hope it helps

Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: steveoa1

I haven't talked to the dealership yet because the issue isn't under warranty anymore. I had them do the elements just a day beforemy extended warranty expired.
Most GM dealers (at least here in Canada) warranty their own repairs for at least 30 days and some go as far as 90 days when using GM parts. Normally it is printed on the service orders.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM

good to know...I checked my work order but there is no mention of that. I'll have to talk to the service advisor about that...thanks!