General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1984 Fleetwood Heater Fan....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Default 1984 Fleetwood Heater Fan....

I have an 1984 Fleetwood and right now I'm having a couple problems that I am hoping someone on here can help me with. First problem, my heater fan doesnt work. I have discovered that the ground connection isnt sufficient for the fan motor to work (we used a jumper wire to a chassis ground and fan worked just fine). However, I also discovered that even with the ignition off, the 12 volts is still present at the fan. My shade tree mechanic friend doesnt know Cadillacs all that well, so the presence of the voltage even while off stymied us. On my way home, I started thinking (im air national guard) that sometimes electronics are wired so that power is always there, but the on/off switch provides a ground to operate the equipment. Are Cadillacs wired this way? Because I have also noted a problem of the same nature with my windshield wiper reservoir pump.Orshould I just find a climate control panel, replace it and hope for the best? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1984 Fleetwood Heater Fan....

Have you looked at the blower motor? Sometimes after all these years the ground connector which is usually plastic has heated up and degraded and is basically useless. When your used the jumper you probably by-passed the switch I'm quessing. The blower motor wiring would be wired into the switch. I suggest getting the ground connector solidly on the blower motor and see what happens. Hard to ensvison what's going on from a post but hope this is helpful.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 1984 Fleetwood Heater Fan....

SwampFox: From what I can see on the electrical schematics the blower motor is hot at all times just like the hazard flasher. There is a fusible link in the line before the blower motor, from the fusible link the orange wire will T and one side goes to motor and the other to ECC power module, hope this helps.