General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TECHs are here to HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default TECHs are here to HELP !

WHY this note HERE?
Many new visitors 1st stop by in this section.

REASON of this note?
Every site gets a share of visitors that come by, take info and leave w/o as much as a thank you.
Please come back, tell us if the advice worked, and give thanks to the TECH or member that provided it.
Do not be a GRAB-N-RUN person.

We are all volunteers here, TECHs do not get paid, we help for the love of doing it,
but abuse and rudeness begets exhaustion and when we feel exhaustion, we tend to go fishing.

examples of no-way-we-can-help questions:
"my car dont run well, what is wrong with it?"
"my A/C aint working, what do i do?"
"my car stalls, how do I fix it?"
"my car sound like a dirt bike, how do I fix it?"
"my wife didnt come home last night, do you think the car really broke down?"
"i didnt go home last night, how do i convince wife that the car broke down?"
"how do i hide the defects so i can sell it as a great car?"

GUIDELINES -
To make things smoother for both you and us.
It is a request, so that we can help each other.

#1.
State the problem in its completness and correctness, the car model and year, etc.
When it is a driveability mal-fuction relating to engine/trani/drivetrain,
provide the CODES, always provide the CODES! Buy, borrow, rent a code
reader. CODES PLEASE !

#2.
Tell us when the problem occurs: driving, starting, parking, cold weather, hot weather,
when your aunt drives it, when it rains, when you hit 46 mph, when you touch the wipers,
when you sneexe, when the planets are in line, etc .. you get the point?

#3.
NOW, THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT .. PLEASE TELL US what you have done so far
in trying to resolve the problem -
then read #1 again.
IF nothing, say that. I cannot think of anything more frustrating than we start making suggestions and
we get a "done that." Me for one, usually take a deep breath, walk away, and I dont come back to
that thread again. Other TECHs may be more forgiving or have more time, I dont.

#4.
Return after the problem is fixed and tell us what the problem or solution was. We dont care how you found
the answer or who gave you the solution or what website you found it on, but the other owners do care HOW you fixed it! We spend the time helping you, we ask that you return the favor, help another.

#5.
On some issues, specially with A/C & airbags, we are very reluctant to provide suggestions unless
the owner can convince that he/she knows what he/she does with such devices.

#6.
IF I only got a few minutes to surf the site and type responses, chances are that I'm going to 1st look at
the questions of those that keep coming back or have larger #'s of posts or people I know or people that
i seen helping others. THAT my friends, is simply the human equation. I bet the other TECHs do
the same. Look for ways to help others and the favors are more likely to be returned by those that you helped.

#7.
I start my day at the Off-Topic Forum with a cup of jabba. Anyone I see posting there, I make it a point
to remember the name. I will probably remember you when I see you later asking for help. I seem to remember
a lot of that.

IF you own or you are looking to buy an Allante, you are in luck. A few of us here know that model in detail,
to the last connector, the last bolt, the last anything. I know, I know, we is obsessed, we IS CRAZY!
If you are looking for advice on other other cars, go for it. There is also plenty of that advice around here.

# nth
At any case, we extend our welcome to all that come here for ANY good reason. You dont need to own a car
to join, the Off-Topic is an equal opportunity FORUM. Almost anything goes.

================================================
[align=left] the small print
[/align]================================================
Do we have a B.M.F. HAMMER? YES!

Summary of the Rules:

The Moderators dont have rules, we create them as we go.

Do NOT bash or mess with any CadillacForum TECH,
specially a Girl TECH.
Do NOT bash the website, blatantly attack members or toss F'Bombs or such vulgar acts.
Do NOT bash the cars, we are all here for the Cadillac experience and dont need attitude.
When it comes to Cadillacs, TECHs and this site, stay positive - it makes our day.

Play in the OFF-Topic within the personal limitations of any player.
Never use foul language, vulgarity, or bashing.
Let's PLAY means PLAY,
STOP means just that, STOP.

We call on the powers of Mount Olympus for a Godly strike and vaporize whatever offensive
writing w/o warning and w/o trails.
B.M.F. HAMMERgoes BANG!

Having a different opinion or answer is NOT bashing. Go for it! Do it in a civilized manner.

BASH:
bash (băsh)
v.intr. Informal.
- To engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism or name calling.

=================

SPAMMERS & TROLLS - forget it!
B.M.F. HAMMER ====> BANG BANG BANG!

WE take no prisoners, WE leave no survivors.
Dont SPAM by posting do NOT use SPAM links in the signature line - POOF .. VAPORIZED !
I take pride in "edit" "lock" and "move" procedures. Please go elsewhere with SPAM.

Other MODs may have different levels of patience and tolerance. We are not all calibrated to one
tune, we really like it that way, it gets musical. Heck, they may even disagree on this note or may
come along and add to it or modify it. But yet, here it is.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

one more NEW thing ....

spammers that post links to their sales sites in their signatures will also be vaporised w/o any warning whatsoever .. many such "visitors" have been taken down in recent times.

if you have a link in your signature, please make sure is a link that fits the purpose of CadillacForuM, its Cadillac owning members, any of the rules posted priorly to this, and do not re-direct our members elsewhere.

Sites selling parts usually do not qualify unless it is a very unique niche, we are informed, and we agree ...

IP addresses starting with 115.184.XX are also considered predatory!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 PM

1989 allante will not start engine turns over trys to start, but just won't keep running fault lite says "engine system fault" what do you think?

Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Unhappy What's The Point?

I read this post, and I totally agree with it. I posted two messages weeks ago about my 2002 and its anti theft system issues. I described the problem in painstaking detail. Not so much as a single reply to either one of them. I noticed that quite a few messages are posted, viewed and get very few, if any responses.

So I say again, what is the point of posting messages asking for technical insights and the messages go unreplied to?

Perhaps now I will get some replies......Hopefully!

Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 AM
Thumbs down Fairly Useless.....

I have been looking at the number of posts to this site by users. Most of the posts are viewed, but very few of them are responded to....including two of my own. I believe, in my opinion, that this site is fairly useless. I am a member of the XLR Forum, and most of the posts on it are read and responded to by people with a good understanding of the vehicle. I wish I could say the same for this site...unfortunately, I cannot!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 PM
Default 02 Deville ABS, Traction and Brake lights on always!

I just had a new strut put on and they bypassed the air ride (im not sure how not super car savvy) to save money car rides fine and stops fine but the ABS, Traction control light and brake light came on and remained on since about an hour after I picked it up! PLEASE Help just spent a ton any suggestions?

Old 03-17-2019, 11:23 AM

I just purchased a 2017 ATS with HUD--The vehicle speed is displayed but the SPEED LIMIT stays at 00 and I cant figure out how to get this feature to show the posted speed limits? The vehicle has Drivers assist and Nav.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Thank you for your time. I have a 1992 Sedan DeVille. While driving at night (with the head lights on), after about 20 minutes or so, the service engine, oil, and battery charge lights come on dimly. I pulled over shut off the head lights and the three warning light extinguished.

Best regards,

Old 06-22-2023, 11:21 AM

Hi there,
Are you looking for an expert in WordPress Website Designer? Please knock me here:https://www.fiverr.com/s/NaGyVQ