General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRX oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Default SRX oil change

New to forum and need some help. I also have 2 Mercedes that I do most of the maintainence. So, I decided to change oil on my 2004 SRX too. I usually usea Topsider to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube..it works very well on the benzs' and is fast and easy. Well I can't get the siphon tube all the way down through the dipstick tube on the SRX. So I decided to just drain it out but for the life of me I cannot find the oil pan drain plug!! I feel like a idiot but I don't want to make a mistake and drain the transmission pan or screw up something else.

Can any one guide me as to where the drain plug is located??

Thanks

Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: SRX oil change

V6 or V8?

Neither are hidden, just on the bottom of the oil pan.
I believe it is on the passenger side on V6 engines, and I think the northstar is facing the drivers side.
V8 filter is underneth next too the plug.
V6 is a cartridge type under the hood on the drivers side.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:15 PM

Thanks yes it is the V-6 engine. So I will take a look on the passenger side. I tried to follow the dipstick tube to where it entered the pan but just can't see it from underside.

I did replace the filter cartridge which was easy to find.

I just can't find what I believe is the oil pan or at least what I think it should look like. There is a rectangular pan farther back with drain plug on bottom but I think this is the transmission plug.

It would be great if someone had a drawing or picture.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:38 PM

Well, I can close this out but not before an interesting comment. Just to be sure I went to the Cadillac dealer parts dept and asked them about the drain plug location. He pulls up the exploded view and says its a torx #45 plug and that to be careful since they get a lot of requests for these from Jiffy Lube when they screw them up or worse have to get new oil pan due to stripping them. Well it is not a 45 torx but a good ole 13mm hex plug easily visible. I just wasn't sure since the oil pan really did not look like the oil pan to me.The 45 torx is for the transmission pan drain plug.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Your parts department looked up a CTS 3.2L engine.
Those drain plugs are very problematic even for us.

Its always a good idea to have your vehical looked up by VIN.
This can eliminate any communication problems that may occur.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Default Drain plug

Just to let you know the drain plug for the transmission is a torx, not sure what size but the oil drain plug is just a regular bolt plug, its like in the middle maybe towards the driver side and the bolt faces the front driver side tire. I think mine was 13mm but I had to change the plug since walmart rounded it pretty bad, I went to the dealer and they had them in stock, same threads just a bit bigger but you can't miss it. The oil pan looks like a grate in the bottom, the transmission oil pan is flat and the torx bolt is flush with surface or pan Hope this helps, if any other problems I can take a pic and post it here.