General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Default Please Please help

Hi all. I'm desperate! I own a 2004 Cadillac Deville. My interior courtesy lights don't work and also the door "puddle lights" don't work. I can manually turn the interior map lights on but they don't turn on when I open the door in the dark or use my key fab to unlock the doors. Also, when I unlock my door at night, the headlights, tail lights and back up lights all turn on. As soon as I open the door, all the lights go out right away. Is this normal? This problem is killing me. I checked every fuse and there all good. Any ideas??? Please help if you can. Thanks a million.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Please Please help

you may have a three position switch that you dont have in the right mood. other than that the door switch may be bad, orin-op...... ...... as far as extieror lights going off as soon as you open door, well thats standard.....
rickyd

Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the reply rickyd. What switch do you mean? There is a dial that controls the interior light brightness that is also suposed to turn on the map lights. That dials notturning on the map lights like it's sopposed to. It's just driving me crazy. The interior lights are supposed to turn on in the dark evenwith the key fab remotly but they don't. That's why I'm thuinking it may not be a door switch. Any door I open doesn't tun the lights on. And also those "puddle light" aren't working. It's just bugging me so much because I one bought a new Pontiac Grand Am off th show room floor with 7 miles on it and it had sooo many electrical problem and I swore I'd never buy another GM product. Now, I'm have ing this weird electrical problem with my Cadillac. I love the car other then that. I'm almost deserate to call the dealer but I don't like anyone but myself working on my car. I just don't know what to do. It sucks getting into my car this time of year(gets dark real early) in a dark parking lot and have to feel around for the ignition to put the key into. Plus, my BMW and Audi friend get a laught out of my Cadillac with these problems.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

yes that dial turning clock-wish should click and turn interior, and puddle, (as you call it) lights on.does it click? and if not that switch may need replaced, is all....... there is something in the loop that isn't letting those lights come on...
let us know
rickyd

Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM

The dial does click. The dial seems to work. Well, it does dim the interior lights and does click when I turn it all the way. I'm just lost here. There must be something that controls these lights that's not allowing them to turn on automatically because the map lights them selves do work if I manually turn them on. The puddle lights(someone on the forum refereed to them that way) never turn on.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 PM

Anyoneelsehave any advice?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Does your car have "auto on" headlights and if so do you use this feature? Do the headlight s automatically come on when it gets dark? My 05 CTS service manual states "The sunload sensor assembly must indicate low light conditions for the interior lamps to operate." Perhaps the photocell is bad or it could be a relay. These cars have so much electronic supervision for all the systems that you really need to run a Diagnostic System Check to help track down the cause. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. Mike.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the reply Underdog. Yes my car does have the auto on feature and I use it. My lights turn on when it gets dark enough and when I turn on my windshield wipers. I ran the Diagnostic System Check a few weeks ago and all I got was code stating that the power was interrupted at one point. This problem is driving me crazy.