General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0741 TCC stuck off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Certified Members
Exclamation P0741 TCC stuck off

wow this is odd. i have had my seville parked for roughly 2 months straight since ive been riding the motorcycle. yesterday i drove the cady around and after awhile it would take off as if it was in 2nd gear. so i thought i hit the button for TCS on accident from the cup holder.(i tend to do that when i have a drink in the cup holder.) well i pushed it and nothing then after awhile the traction control light came on. so i pulled the codes and came up with the P0741 i cleared the code and wala the car was fine again and then after about 2 stops and go's later the same problem would happen. so i put the gear selector down through every gear and noticedat about 25mph and no down shift it wouldnt go into 1st but it would down shift from the other gears fine. even at adead stop it wouldnt go into 1st and the TCS light would come on. has anybody had this issue. it drives fine in all the other gears and overdrive works too. it just acts as if the TCS is in ready mode and starts off in 2nd gear.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

so i went out today and tried to see what i can find as to whats causing the tcc to be stuck off. i pulled up the diagnostics in the dash and cleared codes while i was driving in 1st gear at around 20-25mph and if i leave it in that gear it will stay in 1st for about 15 seconds and then the tcs lights up and it puts the car into second. i tried this a few times to see what i could find but all i notice is a slight stuttering not very noticable but its there and then thats when it does all of the above. so im not sure if i should replace the tcc solenoid or if its a tcs problem. Also when this happens if i leave the gear selector in 1st and clear the code the car will shift back into 1st again and about 15 seconds later is when the problem occurs and its back into second gear.

Last edited by 92_Daddylac; 08-19-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Certified Members

Ok guys i know im not going crazy but i found out that my brake lights are the cause of this after researching some more i found others had the same issue i am still having. i guess if the p1574 (stop lamp switch circuit) or c1294 (brake light switch active) or any of the codes that are related to the brake light circuit pop up for any reason it will cause the car to run as if the tcs button was pushed. my problem now is just my led trunk light lights up when brakes are pushed and the rest are off. just yesterday the rear corners wouldnt light up now the whole rear brake lights are non working. what should i look at or do. thanks and what was cadillac thinking i cant believe such a silly thing as brake lights will cause my car to run like this!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

Did you replace the brake switch, or find some other problem with it?
The PCM will NOT set a code for the TCC stuck off(P0741) if the brake switch is indicating that the pedal is pushed, as if you were stopping, or slowing down. The TCC stuck off code means that the TCC has not engaged when it was commanded on. If you have a P0741 code, you'll need to verify if it is current, or history.
TCC stuck off can be a solenoid, wiring, valve, or torque converter issue...what year model car is it?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

well after reseting the codes i stoped getting the tcc stuck off code and now its the stop lamp circuit im having problems with i checked fuses and relays all is good i just need to know about the switches for the brake pedal im not sure how to see if they are bad or not. i was just going to see if i buy new ones if that will work but im not sure how this brake circuit issetup and what else i should look at since ive never seen this happen on any car. lol so im still up for any sugestion to fixing this. just dont understand how not driving my car for 3 months would cause isues like this.lol

Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Certified Members

IF the LED lights across the rear are working when you press the pedal, then the brake switch itself is working. Are you actually getting the codes you mentioned above(P1574 stop lamp switch circuit -C1294 -brake light switch active)?
We still don't know what YEAR model this car is...

Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Adams' Apple
IF the LED lights across the rear are working when you press the pedal, then the brake switch itself is working. Are you actually getting the codes you mentioned above(P1574 stop lamp switch circuit -C1294 -brake light switch active)?
We still don't know what YEAR model this car is...
98 seville and im still getting the codes along with the traction control light which is making my car do 2nd gear take offs from a start. and just the LED bar is lighting up for the brakes.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default problem solved!

i finally checked brake light bulbs and found both were bad and so i replaced them with new ones and wow i must say that was the cheapest fix ive done to fix what seemed like a big issue. so if anybody has issues with just the "TRACTION CONTROL" light coming on then check your brake lights and go from there. hope this helps anybody that may have had the same issue. Now my car starts off in first and hasnt had any problems since then.