General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old's intrugue baby caddillac motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Default old's intrugue baby caddillac motor

ok here we go car has 81,000 miles on it and i was burnning 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles. So went through the dealerships hoops and did the oil consuption test and they did agree that the car was burning it so they did the decarbonization test twice with no less oil consumed. The next thing to do was remove the pistons and rings and replace them......In less the 3 months and 3,000 miles my car overheated in which i pulled over to find 1 1/2 gallons of coolant was gone!!!!! I put more coolant in and drove it less then a mile and in that time i lost another gallon. Towed the car to the cadillac dealership that did the repairs and they told me that 4 head bolts had "stripped" out...... In which i asked them, bolts just dont strip out, either the tech over tourqed the head bolts using a tourque wrench or didnt use one at all. He then stated that coolant had leaked into the head bolts and rusted them out????????? After 7 weeks of dealing with the manager, dealership owner, the warranty company and gm assistance center they first agreed that they would pay for the parts and i would have to pay for the labor, even though I just fell out of my extended warranty by 1,100 miles and the car was just serviced by them. Whell that to me was inexcuseable after more time they agreed to fix they car parts and labor for free, then they turned arround and now said they are only paying for the labor and half the parts..... I have been a LOYAL gm owner for 17 years and love gm but they now say there waitng on a "tool" to drill out the head bolts and heli-coil the block... they still havent figured out if the heads are warped or the block is cracked.. Please help im in a real pinch i know either the gasket failed to cause the coolant to leak into the head bolts or the tech messed up. I used to work at a dealership so i know accidents happen sometimes but this isnt right. Thank you for your time

Old 10-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: old's intrugue baby caddillac motor

Looks like you are in a bit of a pickle.
You may not like what i have to say but here goes.

You engine was taken apart for an oil consumption issue.
Aluminum blocks do not fair well to removing and replacing head bolts(high torque).
And yes these bolt holes(threads) do strip out on there own.

The tech most likely did not do anything wrong you just have an engine that would have benefited from having the time serts (heli coil type system) installed.
Now you ask, why didn't they do it when the engine was apart?
Well cause it is an extra expense for a problem that "might" come to be.
Warranty doesn't fix things that might break, only things that have already broke.

They didn't replace your waterpump at the same time just because it might go out in the near future.

We have done multiple piston replacements and i can only recall 1 that had problems with the head bolts. That car was still under warranty so it came back apart and no expense to the customer.

When your warranty expires the burdon of repair lies on you or the burden of proof that the car was damaged during its last repair.
No one wants to be in your situation, and im sorry for the tough situation you are in.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:27 AM

I really appreaciate your comments and i do agree with your comment about the water pump lol but...when they tell me that after not even 3 months and 3,000's this happenes when i have heard of about a dozen cases of this happening and fortunate for them they WERE all in warranty and i am not. but for them to say its all covered one time and only some, the next just shows me why GM has now gone to the 100,000 mile warrantys on there vehicles because the imports have done so already. I only needed this vehicle to last me to november 10 because by then i will have passed my final exam and will have goten a pay raise and was going to trade it in for a 2007 silverado hd but now all i have is a piece of crap that they know they have had numerous problems with and is one of the main reasons that they discontinued the car. I am just looking for some kind of light at the end of the tunnel because the have had numerous problems with the motor and you would think that in good faith because ive been a LOYAL GM owner and that its just bairly out of warrant, and they just took those bolts out they would just say that the gasket failed causing the coolant to leak and "rust" the bolts like they said. i guess im just grasping at straws because i dont have the money to both fix the car to get it running and buy the new silverado Thank you for your time in reading my problem and if there is any other information that could help i would really appreciate it

Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 AM

And i guess im a little put off that a major GM dealership doesnt stand behind ther craftmanship because if i had tranny or engine work done at any local shop they would have had a 90 day to 1 year warranty on the work performed. Again i used to work in a dealership doing everything from service writing to dispatcher, to assistant service manager, so i used to deal with this sort of thing all the time except im on the other end now