General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

northstar interchangable years??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Default northstar interchangable years??

i have the option of purchasing 2 caddys from the same guy for cheap.

one is a 94, the motor and trans are good, but a bunch of dumb **** is wrong with it.

the other is a 96 which is in good shape. the head gaskets blew out on that one

both ahve the northstar in it.

i plan on buying both and putting the motor from the 94 into the 96 and selling the trans and scrapping the rest of the car (unless anyone needs some parts from it)

will the 94 motor work in the 96? im sure id have to swap sensors and accessories, etc but will the motor itself work?

also, what years are the trans compatible with for future reference (might already have a buyer)

now im a mechanic by trade, but not a cadillac expert thats why im asking you guys. the motor swap is no problem i just wanna know what im getting into before i dive in.

thanks,
Russell

Old 06-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Default RE: northstar interchangable years??

The computer controls changed from OBD I to OBD II in 1996. So the 94 engine would have to use the 96 PCM & control electronics, which would complicate the swap. It would be simpler to repair the 96 engine.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

That gets really tricky. You really need to do your homework on this one.
If you swap a motor/trans/wire harness/computer all together you would be alright, but each year something got changed or updated.
93 and 94 are all by themselves in many respects. 95 fuel rails are different then 96. Wow, some many things i don't know of that are probably different.

The trans should be the least of your worries, but the TCC, TCC solenoid, and PCM program all need to match for it work right and not set a code. Also i think different years and models had different final drive ratios, and that can give shift timing problems.

Also 96 and newer is OBD2. 95 and older is OBD1. lots of changes there.

If you get into this and need specific answers, call caddy to check part #'s and years they applied to.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:59 PM

i want to use the 94 block/heads with all of the 96 accessories/sensors/computer etc. for what im paying for thes caddies, after i scrap the 94, i will have less invested than the block thread repair kit costs

will i have any issues bolting the 96 gear on the 94 block and heads?

thanks,
Russell

Old 06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

You may have issue with the crank trigger wheel and sensors. I remember a wholesaler tring this and never got it running. Doesn't mean you can't, but i think it was the crank trigger that was giving him grief.
The trigger wheel is in the middle of the crank and not servicable seperatly.
Like i said before 93 -94 where the black sheep of the northstar family.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:36 PM

I have a 1996 STS and I need to know what year and body styles would interchange for the front bumper, grille, headlights, fenders etc...