General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My 2000 Cadillac DTS wont start ! Bad starter

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Default My 2000 Cadillac DTS wont start ! Bad starter

Originally Posted by rickyd
welcome to the forum !! as you already know, good info here, and advise for the asking. hope you can jump in when you are able.
ok....... no start. will the car give you any codes? give us a little more info so as we are able to advise you. did it just not start one morning? DO YOU HAVE GAS? keke, just kidding.. let the forum know whats up. were here to help. oh happy fathers day!
rickyd
I figured I would make a thread in the tech section, that is where the questions/problems go on this forums right ? I will put all the info there and post the codes.

Just a quickie though it was running fine, wife was driving it all day she came home parked it, went to leave about an hour or so later and nothing.

I knew the battery as on it's last leg, died on us a few times as of recent, original AC Delco, I took it out, went to Autozone had it tested, BAD. I bought a new battery thinking, YES, that is the problem, simple enough. Nope, put the new battery in and still, NOTHING.

I should also mention that I do have a pretty bad power steering leak at the moment and it got fluid all over quite a bit of the underneath of the hood, so maybe something got fluid on it that shouldn't have ? well nothing should have the PS fluid on it but you get where I am going with it.

Jason

mod edit title

Last edited by Stealth; 06-25-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

so what else can you tell the forum??? have you pulled codes yet??? your pwr steering, is it the pressure hose??? what sound do you hear when you try and start???
rickyd

Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM

so what else can you tell the forum??? have you pulled codes yet??? your pwr steering, is it the pressure hose??? what sound do you hear when you try and start???
rickyd
Yeah the power steering is the pressure hose. Fixing this right now too.

I pulled the codes, off the top of my head I got U1000 from all over the place but I believe that is due to the fact the door panel is off at the moment to fix the window regulator. Then I got both crankshaft sensor codes I believe. I will post the exact ones as soon as I go back to the office.

When I turn the key all the lights, locks, windows etc. work fine with the new battery in place. I hear a noise under the hood an faint sound of a whining almost for a few seconds, other than that I get nothing.

Luckily my friend is a mechanic and owns a shop so ..... I had it towed there today. I didn't really know what to do, it is my only car so I don't have time to just let it sit and trouble shoot, wish I did.

When she is fixed and returns home I will be sure to tell what the problem was.

Also forgot to mention when I first bought the car I brought it home the very next day it would not start. I took it to the dealership they said that the break peadal switches were bad. and there was a remote starter removed and that some wiring was not correct. They replaced those and fixed said iring issues the car ran fine. Those switches also caused a false TCC code I believe they said it was ?

Anyway this is where I am at now, I will definitely keep everyone that is interested posted.

Thanks
Jason

Old 06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Certified Members

im not at all fond of after market starters on cadillacs, at all. too many electiicals to be involved. dont need to add more.
good luck dude.
rickyd

Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I bet that a connection due to all that "aftermarket" stuff has failed.
I would start by pulling codes (specify history or current) and by checking all those connections.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM

Well it turned out to be the starter.

So I am getting her back tomorrow with the starter replaced and the power steering leak fixed (pressure hose).

Before I mention what I am paying for these services any opinions on what the cost should be ? round about ?

I know it will be differn't per state but just a rough estimate would be cool.

Jason

Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Certified Members

depends on labor cost... if a buddy is doing it for free, aftermarket, aprox $120.00 for starter, and for pressure hose aftermarket $ $60.00. pressure hose from gm ?????....i think $160.00
how'd you make out??
rickyd

Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wildstylegrafix
Yeah the power steering is the pressure hose. Fixing this right now too.

I pulled the codes, off the top of my head I got U1000 from all over the place but I believe that is due to the fact the door panel is off at the moment to fix the window regulator. Then I got both crankshaft sensor codes I believe. I will post the exact ones as soon as I go back to the office.

When I turn the key all the lights, locks, windows etc. work fine with the new battery in place. I hear a noise under the hood an faint sound of a whining almost for a few seconds, other than that I get nothing.

Luckily my friend is a mechanic and owns a shop so ..... I had it towed there today. I didn't really know what to do, it is my only car so I don't have time to just let it sit and trouble shoot, wish I did.

When she is fixed and returns home I will be sure to tell what the problem was.

Also forgot to mention when I first bought the car I brought it home the very next day it would not start. I took it to the dealership they said that the break peadal switches were bad. and there was a remote starter removed and that some wiring was not correct. They replaced those and fixed said iring issues the car ran fine. Those switches also caused a false TCC code I believe they said it was ?

Anyway this is where I am at now, I will definitely keep everyone that is interested posted.

Thanks
Jason

dang .. I missed that .. I better read a little slower.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM

depends on labor cost... if a buddy is doing it for free, aftermarket, aprox $120.00 for starter, and for pressure hose aftermarket $ $60.00. pressure hose from gm ?????....i think $160.00
how'd you make out??
rickyd
Well it is a friend but is also a business so I didn't get it free unfotunately. I got it all done, parts and labor for $400.00 to be honest I am not sure if the hose is GM or aftermarket. I think I did alright ?

I am just glad to get her back sometime today is all.

Thanks for any help and interest I got in this thread.

I will definitely not run now, I am going to stick around, seems to be a great group of helpful, friendly people here.

Thanks
Jsaon

Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Default 2000 Cadi DTS, wont start

I think that my starter has gone bad. The car was running fine and then one morning it just wouldn't start, not even turning over. Just a clicking sound. I noticed a week ago it started to hesitate a couple of times when i went to start it but then it was fine. I also have a slow power steering leak but Im not sure how that ties in.

How do you change the starter?