General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Moderate to severe vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Default Moderate to severe vibration

Hello everybody. I have explored this forum before seeking answers to various little problems in my Caddy.

Cadillac CTS
76,000 miles.

I currently have an issue that i thought was bordering simple paranoia, but it appears pretty serious.
While driving at speeds over 50, randomly the car will begin vibrating. At first I was suspicious of the engine, so i slipped it into neutral on a downhill, the vibration didn't change. But it does tend to go away after a few minutes.
I got a few suggestions from other forums so I took action and got an alignment as well as tire balancing for all 4 new tires (less than 1 year old). Although I'm appreciative of the staff telling me that the balancing was unnecessary and the alignment was barely off, now I'm a bit unhappy that I spent the $125 and accomplished nothing.

The rotors on the front and rear are new along with brake pads.

If anybody has any suggestions of what it could be, I'm open to any answers. I am a bit of a backyard mechanic so if its something i can do myself, ill take it, if not, I'm happy to spend the money if it'll fix my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Drakeeclipse
Hello everybody. I have explored this forum before seeking answers to various little problems in my Caddy.

Cadillac CTS
76,000 miles.

I currently have an issue that i thought was bordering simple paranoia, but it appears pretty serious.
While driving at speeds over 50, randomly the car will begin vibrating. At first I was suspicious of the engine, so i slipped it into neutral on a downhill, the vibration didn't change. But it does tend to go away after a few minutes.
I got a few suggestions from other forums so I took action and got an alignment as well as tire balancing for all 4 new tires (less than 1 year old). Although I'm appreciative of the staff telling me that the balancing was unnecessary and the alignment was barely off, now I'm a bit unhappy that I spent the $125 and accomplished nothing.

The rotors on the front and rear are new along with brake pads.

If anybody has any suggestions of what it could be, I'm open to any answers. I am a bit of a backyard mechanic so if its something i can do myself, ill take it, if not, I'm happy to spend the money if it'll fix my problem.

Thanks in advance.

not enough details .. where do you live? that it goes away after a few minutes of driving, suggests that it could be something that is sensitive to weather / temp ...

of course, i suspect an issue with a tire or a joint, not necessarily tire balancing .. i would do a couple of things ...

rotate the tires and see if the vibration changes.

if you can 'borrow' another set of tires & rims, do it and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited by stomper; 02-24-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM

Can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or does it feel like it's coming from the back?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Default Vibration

Are you one to use the power the power to the max?? I'd be checking the driveline joints and the tranny mounts.