General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud noise when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Default loud noise when turning steering wheel

i have a 2005 deville 58,000 miles, there is a loud clunking and popping noise when turning the steering wheel left or right,it doesn't matter if the car is moving or not. it sounds like it is coming from under the front of the car near center of vehicle. i'm thinking possible bad steering rack and pinion?
any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and determine what is causing this noise would be gratly appreciated.
thank you in advance

Old 10-01-2013, 12:53 AM

Most likely bad rack and pinion my seville is starting that also. Do you feel a let off/ pull back kinda like a air bubble slip? Could also be a leak in a seal when the preassure builds it slips off.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM

found a bad outer tie rod end. threaded portion of inner tie rod end was pulling out of the sleve of the outer tie rod. very lucking this didnt pull apart while the vechile was being driven. the inner and outer tie rods seperated as soon as i jacked up the vehicle.the threads on the inner tie rod weren't damaged,only the threads on the inside of the outer tie rod were stripped out.i replaced the outer tie rod and got an alignment. all is well

thanks