General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

leaky oil pan 98 deville (Updated with fix Results)

Old 11-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Default leaky oil pan 98 deville (Updated with fix Results)

I appear to have a slight leak at the oil pan gasket. Another member here recomended that i try tosnug the pan bolts up before tearing it apart so since i dont yet have a manual does any body know what the tourqe range is on those pan bolts?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: leaky oil pan 98 deville

dude......go to sts section.......go to page 3......look for my post, katz quick question....... read thru.....all you need to know about snugging oil pan gasket......................
rickyd

Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Default RE: leaky oil pan 98 deville

ORIGINAL: rickyd

dude......go to sts section.......go to page 3......look for my post, katz quick question....... read thru.....all you need to know about snugging oil pan gasket......................
rickyd

Yes thank you i found the thread and i have read it but i would still like to know if there are tourqe ranges for those bolts so i dont mess anything up.

Link to thread - https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_12439/tm.htm

Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Default RE: leaky oil pan 98 deville (Updated with fix results)

As suggested here i snugged all the oil pan bolts. That slowed down the the leak to just atwo of drips overnight. So i did some research on oil additives to condition the seals. I bought this product www.barsproducts.com/1050.htmand within 150 miles the leak was gone completely not a single drop in three days.

It would seem that my problem is solved i will update if leak returns.

PS. Thanks for the advice what a great forum.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: leaky oil pan 98 deville (Updated with fix results)

this one?

BTW, when no torque wrench can be used, MY rule of thumb is to tighten until bolt stops turning and then tighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

CAUTION: THAT does not apply to structural bolts, like head bolts, rods, etc.

ORIGINAL: Stealth

ORIGINAL: rickyd

mornin......i see your on.......cool...... while out of town this week i had Leslie(my Girl) start the sts....well, she started m,t,w,th, and drove it down the block and parked it.........not even a mi registered on the ody......... got a leak.......oil pan gasket........here is the question....is it ok to snug the gasket up till i can get it replaced? im headed out again this week...won't be able to get to it til the return......... i just dont want it to seep on drv way
thanks
rickyd
you may well have "loose" bolts that you can re-tighten. it happens all the time.

we tend to either use "locktight" on threads or drill heads and apply safety wire, depending on applciation.
daily drivers usually dont need such precautions, but if one has time to kill on their hands, the safety wire method can be awesome over the years.

DO NOT over torque. you will only damage the gasket, or worse, if you do.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_12439/tm.htm