General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'm lost!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Default I'm lost!

Hello! Ok so I'm lost on this one and I have tried searching and searching and have not really found any answers that I am looking for. I'm hoping posting on here will clear some things up, please bear with me! 2 weeks ago I bought a 1996 Cadillac Deville. It has 177,000 miles on it. So ever since I bought it I hear how unreliable these cars are. Is that true? This things runs incredible and everything works. I heard that you should change your coolant every 100,000 miles but if you have the green coolant you do not have to because that doesn't cause corrosion like the orange stuff does. Is that true? I put 93 octane in it but heard that could be too high of an octane. Like I said it runs great but I'm coming up on 200,000 miles and I'm wondering should I change my coolant? I've also read that flushing it is ok and I've read that it is also not ok. I'm confused and just wondering what the story is with all of this. I have searched the internet countless times but I can never really find any straight answers. I'm sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any help!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Tech Certified Members

Engine requires premium fuel. 91 or better. Engine will run on regular but MPGs will suffer knock sensor will cause the timing to be retarded.

The early Dexcool (orange) tended to solidify when coolant level was low. Because of this condition many switched to ethanol glycol (green) coolant. Changing coolant every 24 months or 30k miles should keep engine safe. You can use either type, just mix with distilled water.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Engine requires premium fuel. 91 or better. Engine will run on regular but MPGs will suffer knock sensor will cause the timing to be retarded.

The early Dexcool (orange) tended to solidify when coolant level was low. Because of this condition many switched to ethanol glycol (green) coolant. Changing coolant every 24 months or 30k miles should keep engine safe. You can use either type, just mix with distilled water.

Ok thank you so much! I guess I should do it soon. They guy that had it before me never changed it. He said the people before him put a new radiator in it and that's when they switched to the green stuff. Thank you again!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:55 PM

Hey slowroll im new to this website and im not sure how to start threads or message you so im just gonna send you a reply on this post. I have a question about my electronic climate control on my 1983 cadillac coupe deville it wont work when i press auto cool high or any button at all it doesnt work same with the fuel data they both dont display anything at all. Do you have any suggestions? Also i checked all the fuses and everythings good.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 PM

Hey slowroll im new to this website and im not sure how to start threads or message you so im just gonna send you a reply on this post. I have a question about my electronic climate control on my 1983 cadillac coupe deville it wont work when i press auto cool high or any button at all it doesnt work same with the fuel data they both dont display anything at all. Do you have any suggestions? Also i checked all the fuses and everythings good.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Tech Certified Members

Unfortunately it has been many years since I worked on a 1983. You should try to get a 1983 factory service manual - ebay is a good place to look. There are several available right now. If you are going to have this car for a while you will need it. Cadillac didn't share much with the other divisions, so whether you DIY or have work done the manuals are important. You could check for voltage at control and fuel data panels. Check connector at programmer also. These are all tied into the On-board Diagnostics of car. There is also a small fuse panel under right side of dash.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:05 PM

Unfortunately it has been many years since I worked on a 1983. You should try to get a 1983 factory service manual - ebay is a good place to look. There are several available right now. If you are going to have this car for a while you will need it. Cadillac didn't share much with the other divisions, so whether you DIY or have work done the manuals are important. You could check for voltage at control and fuel data panels. Check connector at programmer also. These are all tied into the On-board Diagnostics of car. There is also a small fuse panel under right side of dash.
Is the small fuse box all the way to the passenger side of the dash or just the right side of the driver side dash?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Which service manual is better a haynes service manual or a final service edition manual?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Tech Certified Members

Factory manual is best. Haynes manual won't have all you need to know. There is a separate electrical manual, which would be nice to have but the final edition is what you want. Right fuse box is kinda under glove box. I think there are 6 or 8 fuses along with 6 relays

Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Ok so I changed my antifreeze and after we were all done we took it for a drive and everything was fine. The next day I check the coolant level before starting and it's still full. I start the car and I get an error that said, very low coolant and another one that said ax compressor off. Never have seen those errors before. I drove it maybe 7 or 8 miles. Everything seems fine. I get home let the car cool off and check the coolant level and it's fine and have not gotten any errors since and I did not clear any codes or anything. Is there a problem or is it ok to drive? The heat seems to be warm everything seems to be ok. I just got those messages once and that was it.

Quick Reply: I'm lost!