General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How To Repair A Northstar Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Exclamation How To Repair A Northstar Head Gasket

I hope that this thread becomes useful to those who have the general knowledge of mechanics and are thinking about or have replaced the head gaskets on a 00-04 Northstar. I am a service writer at a local repair shop. I have the access to some useful tools, but by no means is it a machine shop. I am doing this repair in a small two car garage with a low ceiling. I am using a small number of tools and I have bought the GM service manual for my model. I have removed the hood and was able to pull the engine with no major difficulties. It might take longer, but If you have another means of transportation and not much money, It is a good deal. I have decided to re ring it and replace all the bearings, seals, and anything else that should be replaced. I will post pictures of the engine and list the steps and information I have found. Any added info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kelso; 09-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kelso

I hope that this thread becomes useful to those who have the general knowledge of mechanics and are thinking about or have replaced the head gaskets on a 00-04 Northstar. I am a service writer at a local repair shop. I have the access to some useful tools, but by no means is it a machine shop. I am doing this repair in a small two car garage with a low ceiling. I am using a small number of tools and I have bought the GM service manual for my model. I have removed the hood and was able to pull the engine with no major difficulties. It might take longer, but If you have another means of transportation and not much money, It is a good deal. I have decided to re ring it and replace all the bearings, seals, and anything else that should be replaced. I will post pictures of the engine and list the steps and information I have found. Any added info would be greatly appreciated.
pictures if you have them will be valuable to others.
be super cautious on the headbolts, the timeserts, etc ...

you didnt say what the mileage is on the engine .. rings and bearings may well be a waste of time and money unless there is something that you didnt mention .. normally these engines do not show any wear for the 1st 250,000 miles or so .. seals, i can see ...

best of luck

Last edited by Stealth; 09-19-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Finally I have had the time to upload some pics of what is going on. I am aware of the wear properties of these engines and it really goes down to the price of the parts. I do not plan to sink a bunch of money into everything else on and in the car that wears or breaks. I just want to have a trustworthy engine that I can sell without sticking someone with a head gasket job in the future. I have a 1962 series 62 that needs a new life. Since I do not understand how you are supposed to get any pics posted on this forum without wasting half of your day you can see them here.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket