General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heater core on 1999 deville? How hard to replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Default Heater core on 1999 deville? How hard to replace

Fixed the alternator....now this
There is fulid all over the passenger side. It is anti freeze and I suspect the heater core is leaking. How hard is it to replace this item or is this one time the dealer needs to be funded.

Thanks
Gumby

Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Default heater core

The heater core is quite easy to replace. You can gain access by removing the glovebox and the lower hush panel below the glovebox. The heater core case splits in half with a couple of 7mm screws. The hardest part id removing the clamps on the hoses by the firewall.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by BBARCZY
The heater core is quite easy to replace. You can gain access by removing the glovebox and the lower hush panel below the glovebox. The heater core case splits in half with a couple of 7mm screws. The hardest part id removing the clamps on the hoses by the firewall.
THANK YOU......I appreciate the info more than you know. My son is in college and as most of you know it is now a time where he can afford a lot. I guess next weekend I will spend time taking this on.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Location: Well, I don't live where I want to live but I'll be fine until I do!

Originally Posted by BBARCZY
Does this apply to a '98 DeVille as well? Ex-hubby just bought one used and he's sure the heater core blew. There was a 'FWUMP' sound, steam came through the defrost vent, obliviating visual and, doing an Ace Ventura, he managed to pull over and shut the car off...at which point water poured in from under the glove box. Seems the cover for the heater core had been replaced with duct tape (?!!) but apparently the dealer snatched the tape off (they missed some) and hid it just before husband looked under the hood. When he had the car towed to our son's house I found the wad of tape tucked behind the engine. I thought, "big square hole, no cover, bunch of fallen leaves...plugged up?" Then I read here about water pouring onto passenger floorboard, so...1998 DeVille, 32V Northstar V8...hopefully just as easy to switch out???

Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Certified Members

94-99 Deville, 92-02 Eldo, and 92-97 Seville all the same. hole was for blower power module on earlier models. there was a plate to cover hole. there was an insulator that cover evaporator case that covered hole, GM stopped installing plate. Blower module became part of blower on later models. Insulator falls apart as car ages. I believe plate is discontinued.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by slowroll
94-99 Deville, 92-02 Eldo, and 92-97 Seville all the same. hole was for blower power module on earlier models. there was a plate to cover hole. there was an insulator that cover evaporator case that covered hole, GM stopped installing plate. Blower module became part of blower on later models. Insulator falls apart as car ages. I believe plate is discontinued.

Good to know about the covers; thanks...I'll tell him.

But (and sorry for being so thick!) do you get to the heater core the same way on the '98 as you do on the '99...I mean, through the glove box and hush panel? 'Cos we were looking at it yesterday and it looks like the whole dash cover might have to be removed (it's not in sections, at least not that we can see!). Of course, underneath the glove box and dash cover there's a black section that looks removable.

He was hoping he could do it himself but, even if he gets our 'back yard mechanic' to do it, it's a good thing to know.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by PeggyK

...'Cos we were looking at it yesterday and it looks like the whole dash cover might have to be removed (it's not in sections, at least not that we can see!). Of course, underneath the glove box and dash cover there's a black section that looks removable.

Wait...is the hush panel actually under the glove box after it's removed, like in that void where it sits? Lordy I'm thick if that's the case...but the ex and the son were thinking along the same lines as I, so I don't feel completely idiotic!