General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Oil Life Monitor - 99 Eldorado "Change Oil" comes on a few days after reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Default GM Oil Life Monitor - 99 Eldorado "Change Oil" comes on a few days after reset

I have a strange problem with my 99 ETC. I just changed the oil and reset the oil counter. Not 40-50 miles later, the change oil light comes on? Reset again, it comes back in a day. Is there a sensor on the ETC that may be going bad? I though from what I have read that it is an algorithem that the computer uses to do the timing of the oil change. Has anyone seen this problem before? Starting to irritate me!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Tech Certified Members

Well although the oil sensor is algorithm the car also has a taste tester that can taste if the oil tastes good or bad. i know this sounds wierd but some cars actually have needs and wants. therefore she wants better tasting oil. so spoil her rotten and change the oil and give her what she wants.

if you still dont believe me than good i was blowing smoke up your tail pipe. Sorry my jokes are horrible. Anyways I would suggest trying to pull the codes and see if there is a code related to your problem. ive never heard of this happening so i would like to keep informed to see what the outcome is. ill do some research and see what i come up with and try to help out.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac

Well although the oil sensor is algorithm the car also has a taste tester that can taste if the oil tastes good or bad. i know this sounds wierd but some cars actually have needs and wants. therefore she wants better tasting oil. so spoil her rotten and change the oil and give her what she wants.

if you still dont believe me than good i was blowing smoke up your tail pipe. Sorry my jokes are horrible. Anyways I would suggest trying to pull the codes and see if there is a code related to your problem. ive never heard of this happening so i would like to keep informed to see what the outcome is. ill do some research and see what i come up with and try to help out.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Thats too funny!

Yeah, its a strange problem. I just keep reseting it and telling her to quit being so picky! LMAO.

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac

Old 03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chester_007

I have a strange problem with my 99 ETC. I just changed the oil and reset the oil counter. Not 40-50 miles later, the change oil light comes on? Reset again, it comes back in a day. Is there a sensor on the ETC that may be going bad? I though from what I have read that it is an algorithm that the computer uses to do the timing of the oil change. Has anyone seen this problem before? Starting to irritate me!

this is rare oil life monitor issue but i did find a couple of similar incidents with other GM cars, although not Cadillacs.
one was traced to a fuse and the other to a bad ground.

since yours works for a couple days before resetting, i am going to say its not a fuse.

try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, reconnect and make sure the battery ground is clean and tight.

report outcome ...

and yes, the life monitor works on a algorithm ...

Last edited by Stealth; 03-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by chester_007

I have a strange problem with my 99 ETC. I just changed the oil and reset the oil counter. Not 40-50 miles later, the change oil light comes on? Reset again, it comes back in a day. Is there a sensor on the ETC that may be going bad? I though from what I have read that it is an algorithm that the computer uses to do the timing of the oil change. Has anyone seen this problem before? Starting to irritate me!

GM Oil Life System (GMOLS) in brief

GMOLS is a computer-based algorithm that assesses engine combustion events, temperature, vehicle use, and other parameters to determine optimum oil change intervals.

Oil changes are now called for when actually needed, instead of depending on generic time or mileage interval tables.

Mild highway driving in a mild climate can yield change intervals of 7,000 miles (11,000 km) or more, and as high as 12,000 miles (19,000 km) for some vehicles.

Short trip driving in cold weather may reduce intervals to 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or less. Most people driving a combination of city and highway will likely see intervals of about 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

When GMOLS determines that an oil and filter change is needed, the driver is notified by a Change Oil message on the instrument panel. Oil should be changed within 600 miles (1000 km).

Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Tech Certified Members

im with stomper as wellas i found some related info. one example said to disconect battery and reconnect after 10-15min. this worked and was fine after that. so give it a try and see what happens.