General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

faulty sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Default faulty sensors

Hi group,

last month, per the board's advice, I had my coolant drained and filled, and I gave my mechanic the bar's leaks pellets to add to the system.

I was hoping this would resolve an issue I had with the thermometer reading above the normal 50/50 mark between H and C. Alas, it didn't. During stop and go traffic the thermometer still reads a bit higher than the middle mark, though my car demonstrates no symptoms of overheating.

Anyway, I know for a fact that my gas gauge is extremely unreliable. It will jump all over the place over the course of a drive, so I have to follow the 'gallons used' indicator to know when it's really time to fill up. If I relied on the gauge, it would say I have a full tank when in fact I'm in 'low range.'

I'm wondering if the faulty gas gauge and the faulty coolant temperature gauge are somehow related. Does anybody know how to resolve this issue? For the coolant I know there is a sensor that's easily accessible, but I'd be curious to know if this is a common problem.

The car is an 01 DHS with 88000 miles.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: faulty sensors

The guages are not usually the problem.
The fluctuating fuel guage is almost always a tank sender with build up on the contacts.
The engine temp could be tested against the guage with a non contact thermometer.
Just point it at the water pump or upper hose near the intake.
The engine coolant temp sensor is not that easy to change on a north*.
It is the same sensor the computer uses for fuel and ignition adjustments.

During stop and go traffic the thermometer still reads a bit higher than the middle mark, though my car demonstrates no symptoms of overheating
How much is a bit higher?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: FLCaddytech

The guages are not usually the problem.
The fluctuating fuel guage is almost always a tank sender with build up on the contacts.
The engine temp could be tested against the guage with a non contact thermometer.
Just point it at the water pump or upper hose near the intake.
The engine coolant temp sensor is not that easy to change on a north*.
It is the same sensor the computer uses for fuel and ignition adjustments.

During stop and go traffic the thermometer still reads a bit higher than the middle mark, though my car demonstrates no symptoms of overheating
How much is a bit higher

Think of the temp gauge like the top of this compass. Think of North as the 50/50 mark between hot and cold. My gauge can go anywhere from NNE to Northeast.

Thank you for the other information.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

That is too hot.
If you notice it mostly during stop and go driving i would check to see that both fans run at high speed.
Just let the car idle with the A/C off.
On a hot day the high fans should turn on in less than 10 minutes after reaching operating temps.
Just make sure they both are turning fast.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM

I'm pretty sure both the fans work. When I start the car, the thermometer is typically at WNW or NW. That's why I think it might not be an actual temperature issue.