General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing coolant on a 98 sls

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Default Changing coolant on a 98 sls

Please explain the best way to drain the coolant from this vehicle. Can't find a drain plug, can I drain it from the small hose on bottom of radiator on the passenger side of the car.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Certified Members

yes, just drain only .....no flush!!. are you good after that? do you know what to use? good luck. please despose of properly
rickyd

Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Dexcool 50/50 thanks Rickyd

Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

i also use gm tabs for coolant. they come in a pac of five. take only two, and crush into a powder. use a baggie. put in powder as you are adding your coolant.
the tabs are an additive for coolant that GM recommends. make sure, only use two, and crush into powder form... by the way, is everything alright with engine? not over heating, etc?
rickyd

Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rickyd
i also use gm tabs for coolant. they come in a pac of five. take only two, and crush into a powder. use a baggie. put in powder as you are adding your coolant.
the tabs are an additive for coolant that GM recommends. make sure, only use two, and crush into powder form... by the way, is everything alright with engine? not over heating, etc?
rickyd
I guess I'm unique?

I mix them IN THE BOTTLE of coolant, then pour the mix into the system.

Also, for those that do not know, GM,Ford, and Chrysler buy their "Coolant Supplement" from Bar's Co.
Not only same stuff, but from same factory.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2488

Last edited by Stealth; 11-10-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

[quote=Stealth;35498]I guess I'm unique?

I mix them IN THE BOTTLE of coolant, then pour the mix into the system.

Also, for those that do not know, GM,Ford, and Chrysler buy their "Coolant Supplement" from Bar's Co.
Not only same stuff, but from same factory.

.[/quot

lol..... there you go taking the easy way out..... lol
thanks mr stealth.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Bars Leaks 6 pack pellets says on back of package Install 2 tablets per gallon of cooling system capacity,,,,,,my 95 seville sts holds 3 gallons as that would be all 6 pellets. If vehicle does not have a regular radiator cap, remove top hose where it attaches to radiator and install tablets in hose and then reinstall hose. Tablets may be crumbled or predissolved for easier application.
NOTE: MOST VEHICLES WILL USE ALL SIX TABLETS.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 AM

Hey ricky my engine is still running warmer than it use too. I know I have a leak into one of my cylinders, but the gm pellets are working for now. The temp doesn't rise until the thermostat opens. Can this be from the head gasket leaking. I was going to try replacing my thermostat AGAIN today and eliminate that, if not that might change water pump next (not sure when or if its been changed in past). I think I can live with the warmer temp but trying to do everything possible to run normal due to leak. After I finish the above task I was going to install the dexcool and a bottle of that head gasket and block repair stuff mfg by nanotechnology and see if it does better than the gm pellets. How do you feel about all this. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by STSevilleSTS
Bars Leaks 6 pack pellets says on back of package Install 2 tablets per gallon of cooling system capacity,,,,,,my 95 seville sts holds 3 gallons as that would be all 6 pellets. If vehicle does not have a regular radiator cap, remove top hose where it attaches to radiator and install tablets in hose and then reinstall hose. Tablets may be crumbled or predissolved for easier application.
NOTE: MOST VEHICLES WILL USE ALL SIX TABLETS.

GM recommends 2 tablets for the Northstars ...

Old 11-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Bars Leaks Stop Leak Tablets Net Wt 2.1 oz. Avg(60g) 6 tablets in the package. What are the size of the "GM" tablets? As I understand they come in 2 different sizes. Not trying to argue this point just simply reading the back of the Bars Leaks package as it is laying in front of me. Install 2 tablets for each gallon of cooling system capacity. 95 seville sts holds 3 gallons therefore all 6 are required per bars leaks. If the "GM" tablets are larger it wont take as much.