General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car dies when I let off gas pedal, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Default Car dies when I let off gas pedal, HELP

Hi everybody. I have a 1994 Cadillac El Dorado, and I been having an issue whit the car. Ok the car starts fine but if you drive it for a while when I let off the gas pedal it dies on me and it's hard to get start again after it dies.

I have change so far fuel pump, battery,fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator,starter too cause I try too many times to get started and I mess it up I also change computer. so as today still starts fine but still dies after a while when I let off gas pedal or stop.

Any input will be appreciated thank you all.

Last edited by Mechon944; 09-17-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Codes? You have changed alot of stuff, was it all because of stalling? Any work done prior to the stalling concern? Carbon build up in throttle body can lead to stalling at hot idle or coming to a stop. Engine ground(s) can also cause this, in particular ground at engine on right side near lower crankcase. You can only get to from underneath car. When ECM is changed idle/TPS has to be re-learned to prevent stalling or intermittent high idle.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Thank you very much slowroll. I will check if any codes, carbon build up and engine ground.Prior stalling car was parked for around 6 months no work was done prior stalling.

Thanks to Everyone else in this forums

Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mechon944
Hi everybody. I have a 1994 Cadillac El Dorado, and I been having an issue whit the car. Ok the car starts fine but if you drive it for a while when I let off the gas pedal it dies on me and it's hard to get start again after it dies.

I have change so far fuel pump, battery,fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator,starter too cause I try too many times to get started and I mess it up I also change computer. so as today still starts fine but still dies after a while when I let off gas pedal or stop.

as slowroll said, get us the codes, history vs. current.

actually, CLEAR the codes then drive it a couple of days and get the new codes then. you have changed a whole lot of stuff that may have nothing to do with the TWO issues.

Did the car acquired new issues as compared to before putting all the new parts ?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Default I unplug the Iddle control actuator

I unplug the Idle control actuator and car does not die anymore after I drove the car for a week. Today I plug it in and car start dying again. no codes .

Tomorrow I will get a new one and see what it does.
Thank you all . this forum help me a lot that's how I got the idea of unplugging the Idle control actuator. thank you

Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Mechon944

the fuel filter and battery, I can see it done just for maintenance sake.
but just wondering .. were you advised to change all that?