General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can't seem to unscrew coolant cap?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Default Can't seem to unscrew coolant cap?

I just inherited a 2001 Deville. The check coolant indicator is on and it does need some coolant added. For some reason when I twist the coolant cap I cannot remove it? The owners manual doesn't mention any special way to remove it, it's like it's stuck? This is on a 4.6L Northstar engine. Once it twists counterclockwise it's like it is springy or something but I still cannot remove it? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Can't seem to unscrew coolant cap?

HD...did you try and push down as you turn the cap? and are at the return bottle, or if it has, a radiator cap, there?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:43 PM

Yes, I did try pushing down, this is on the surge tank not the actual radiator I might add. It's just weird that it is springy once twisted counterclockwise but it doesn't seem to make any difference as far as when unscrewing it?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

well im sure one of the tech will jump in soon.....have you been to Member Introduction??? then we'll all know of you.....it a good thing to do....also check out other parts ie: Cadillac demographics, ( are old are we)......have some fun here and welcome to the Forum..........
rickyd

Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I recallmy first time opening the surge tank on my 04 Deville. The cap wastough to get off. I had to push down hard with the palm of my hand and twist.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

you have to

1. push down as you twist, counterclockwise,
2. twist / turn until the notches & tabs line up.
3. pull

GM decided to make it "Child Proof"

Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: rickyd

well im sure one of the tech will jump in soon.....have you been to Member Introduction??? then we'll all know of you.....it a good thing to do....also check out other parts ie: Cadillac demographics, ( are old are we)......have some fun here and welcome to the Forum..........
rickyd
Thanks Ricky, I just posted my intro. to the new member forum.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: HDalien

ORIGINAL: rickyd

rickyd
Thanks Ricky, I just posted my intro. to the new member forum.
COOL! your in andlegitiment............now get thta cap off!....put a little elboy grease in it!...... :-)
rickyd

Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 AM

push down on the cap while turning, then after partially loose, use a pair of large pliers(water pumps) to grasp the cap with one hand while pushing down and turning. Once the cap is off, use pliers to bend the tabs on the cap slightly outward (there are 4 places) this will allow clearance on the notches, so next time it should remove easier. I've done this already.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Default Thanks!

I love you guys so much right now. I am driving an 88' DeVille and had to stop to put coolant in and could not get that cap off...
Much love💜 I'm back on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't seem to unscrew coolant cap?