Go Back   Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners > General Technical Section > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 AM

Default Cadillac trunk pull down motor

my trunk pull down motor stopped working about 6 months ago. It still grabs the latch to close but it doesn't pull down the rest of the way anymore. people are always telling me my trunk is open and trying to close it for me so I am thinking it is time to get it fixed. It doesn't let rain in or anything so I didn't find it important to fix it right away. Is there anyway I can fix this myself or is this something I am going to have to take it into a shop to have done? A dealership told me I would have to bring it into them because if it isn't set right it could pull down too tight or not enough and cause the new one to burn out too, is this true or is the dealership just trying to get me to take it into them to make money off me. sometimes I feel like they tell me stuff like this just cause I am a girl and they think I don't know anything about cars... LOL...

.- - - - - -
mod edit
title

Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Stealth
Default RE: trunk pull down motor

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Naomizcadi

my trunk pull down motor stopped working about 6 months ago. It still grabs the latch to close but it doesn't pull down the rest of the way anymore. people are always telling me my trunk is open and trying to close it for me so I am thinking it is time to get it fixed. It doesn't let rain in or anything so I didn't find it important to fix it right away. Is there anyway I can fix this myself or is this something I am going to have to take it into a shop to have done? A dealership told me I would have to bring it into them because if it isn't set right it could pull down too tight or not enough and cause the new one to burn out too, is this true or is the dealership just trying to get me to take it into them to make money off me. sometimes I feel like they tell me stuff like this just cause I am a girl and they think I don't know anything about cars... LOL...

very difficult to help when we dont know the car model and year.

check the fuse, check if there is power to the pull down.
if that is OK, go for a replacement .. the salvage yards have thousands of these, or ebay (try the link below) ?

CADILLAC PULL DOWN

Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 AM

Default RE: trunk pull down motor

Sorry it is a 99 eldorado ETC.

I have already checked the fuses and they are all fine. I know it is the pull down motor, I checked a couple ofsalvage yards when I was out in Texas and I had no luck. Now that I am back in Az maybe I will have better luck, I will look into it. I will check that link too, thanks. Is it hard to change it out though? I can do simple repairs but the dealership told me it would have to be calibrated so it wouldn't pull down too tight and burn out again... I don't know if they just tell me stuff like that cause I'm female or if it is true. They tend to tell females things that they wouldn't tellmales because they think females are going to believe everything they say and spend the extra money...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Stealth
Default 1999 cadillac eldorado etc trunk pull down motor

calibrated? maybe they meant "adjust". not a problem.
if a guy can do it, any girl can.

advice you get a FSM for your car. it will help you on many aspects and cut through he bull.

click link:
1999 Cadillac Deville/Eldorado Service Manual Set of 2

Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

Default RE: 1999 cadillac eldorado etc trunk pull down motor

Many times it's just the switch that mounts on top of the motor. Under 30.00 and fairly easy to install. Also there is no adjustment.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 1999 cadillac eldorado etc trunk pull down motor

Even if the motor is gone it is a pretty easy bolt in and plug in repair. Three bolts and an electrical connector. Entire unit is $59 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/86-02-CADILLAC-EL...3286.m20.l1116

1993 Fleetwood - L05 5.7 TBI V8 (Sold July 18, 2012 with 308,000 km)
1999 GMC Suburban SLT- 5.7 Vortec
1998 Olds 88 LS - Series II 3.8 V6
1973 Pontiac LeMans GT - 454 V8 1 of less than 5
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 AM

You can simply just screw down the latch (if you are mecanically inclined you can figure it out), until you close the trunk and it shuts to the extent you like it. It will no longer be a "nice" as cadillac intended but it is pretty much a free fix. Let me know if you can't figure out the mechanism, its pretty simple once you start turning the proper screw/bolt.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Ok, I need to replace or "adjust my trunk lid motor so my trunk closes. How do I get the trip off so I can get to the cover holding the motor. I noticed the caps along plastic trim and the screws under them. Do I unscrew these screws and remove the trim?

I really need help here.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp3494 View Post
Ok, I need to replace or "adjust my trunk lid motor so my trunk closes. How do I get the trip off so I can get to the cover holding the motor. I noticed the caps along plastic trim and the screws under them. Do I unscrew these screws and remove the trim?

I really need help here.

what model car ?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM

I saw your reply to the trunk pull down motor problem & I would appreciate it if you could be more specific as to where the "proper screw/bolt" is located on the latch.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Tags
1993, 1999, 92, allante, caddy, cadillac, cadillactrunk, downs, eldorado, fix, latch, motor, pull, pulldown, repair, top, trunk, working