General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Broken glove box door

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Default Broken glove box door

How canI get in my glove box without destroying the the door? My Caddy is a 87 Coupe.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Broken glove box door

Is it locked? Will the realease not function?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know what you've tried so far. If it is not locked and something inside the box is jamming it, try pushing in on the door while releasing.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Sorry, Try this again! The door is not locked. The handle will lift up, but nothing happens. I can see the "clip" to the handle and it doesn't appear to be moving. I've tried pushing in on the door as I lifted the handle. Even a couple of swift hits with my fist. Thinking maybe something may have gotten' caught in the latch.Can I get in from the bottomby coming up from under the dash. This is a must fix so that we can continue to drive the vehicle since the door release for the fuel door is inside the glove box.Any ideas fellas?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know the layout at all, but can you unscrew the hinge from below if it has a piano type hinge? Is there no way to slip a small size screw driver onto the latch and release? Usually gentle works better than pounding on these things.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

Not sure how its broke most of the time hing break on right side,you maybe able to open it by holding right side in place and try to open it.It may open.It can be openned if that doesn't work.Unfortunately piano hinge is not accessible unless door is open. Get your new lock assembly and study how it works and you see how to release door after release handle (only) is removed from lock. Hope it help

Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM

It's Open[sm=americanasmiley.gif]After some much needed sleep I went out to take another look at the door. What I was looking at was the lever that releases to open the door. I had to push in the door (close to the latch) and at the same time take a small screw-driver and pry the bottom half of the lever out to get the door to open. What happened was a piece of plastic that supports the spring for the lever broke and jammed up under the latch. Tomorrow I'll be calling around to see if I can locate the door latch unit.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

I think the couple of swift hits with the fist scared it.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=goodidea.gif]
ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

Is there no way to slip a small size screw driver onto the latch and release?
[sm=signs007.gif], I guess there was! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM

Round 2 - What vendor or salvage yard would possibly have the glove box lock assembly? I thought this was going to be an easy fix.[sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: Broken glove box door