General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delco spark plug wires, engine misfire ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default AC Delco spark plug wires, engine misfire ...

has anyone ever seen or heard of this?

this was stated in relation to adding dielectric grease to the wire's boot
before pluging it into the spark plug.

OEM wires (ac delco) are impregnated with dielectric grease, using additional grease can create arching and mis-fires.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: AC Delco spark plug wires ...

That's a new one on me.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: AC Delco spark plug wires ...

new to me also.
just got verification, they werent kidding.

Spark Plug Removal Procedure

Notice
Twist the spark plug boot one-half turn in order to release the boot. Pull on the spark plug boot only. Do not pull on the spark plug wire or the wire could be damaged.

Remove the spark plug wires from the spark plug.

Caution
Wash your hands after handling coated spark plugs and before smoking. The coating is a non-hazardous material and incidental contact will not cause any adverse effects. However, exposure to polymer vapors - the result of contamination of cigarette products and subsequent burning of the polymer - may result in flu-like symptoms and should be avoided.

Important
Do not remove spark plugs when the engine is warm. Clean dirt and debris from the spark plug recess area.

Remove the spark plug from the cylinder head.

ORIGINATOR Scotty Aug 22 2005

Whoa..... There has been a change that I recently learned myself.... The AC DELCO wires are impregnated with a substance to stop the boot from sticking and adding dilectic<spelling? GREASE is not necessary and MAY or WILL cause carbon tracking.... This is one of those things that you must relearn that can catch you by surprise! See the following from the manual, Mike

Carbon tracking originally referred to carbon lines inside the distributor cap that would run from post to post or post to the center post and the spark would follow it affectively causing a shorted circuit in the cap and a mis-fire. I only experienced this once or twice in my life. A tricky misfire to diagnose I might add when you do get it.

scanned from the factory service manual

ORIGINATOR wdever Dec 2 2006

I purchased a 95 Eldorado N* recently with 80K miles. It had a miss in it and the EGR pintle position code came up along with MAP intermittent signal. I changed all plugs and wires, cleaned the EGR and throttle body and spacer along with the tubes feeding the EGR and spacer. Checked and cleaned the MAP sensor also. Now I have no codes coming up but get a miss on acceleration. Not bad but I cant find it. The plugs and wires were the originals.

There is an intermittent rough idle, no bad smelll. The idle seems worse once the car warms up, but my wife says it has done it while cold also.

Yes, new AC plugs and wires but I did use anti-sieze on the plugs and siliconed the wire boots. I will pull them tomorrow and clean them up while checking for any tracking or cracks. I will try to find a gauge to check the FPR also. What is the pressure range needed for fuel pressure?

========

OK, Pulled the plugs and cleaned all of the anti-sieze and silicone from them and the wire boots. Don't know if that was the culprit or that is what caused the problem but I found 2 plugs with cracked porcelain. These plugs were installed less than 2 weeks ago. Maybe i just got to rough with them, who knows. Runs great now, any change and I will let you all know.
Thanks again.
ORIGINATOR Ranger Dec 2 2006

What you found may not have been a crack, but a carbon track. It can be mistaken for a crack and is almost impossible to clean up I am told. Glad it was an easy fix.