General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 STS gets hot... then not??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 PM

This evening the "getting hot" incident happened again (no varation in the terrian, is was level and the temp outside was about 57 degrees) The car has operated just fine all week, no problems.

Could there be an issue with the coolant cap?

Initially, I had asked about where the thermostat is located...does any one know this? I was told GM had a couple different spots they used on these engines.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Bryan22
This evening the "getting hot" incident happened again (no variation in the terrain, is was level and the temp outside was about 57 degrees) The car has operated just fine all week, no problems.

Could there be an issue with the coolant cap?

Initially, I had asked about where the thermostat is located...does any one know this? I was told GM had a couple different spots they used on these engines.

coolant (radiator) caps do not cause overheating.

the stat, I believe it is located in the water pump cover on the driver side of engine at the lower radiator hose behind the air box.

your symptoms as YOU STATED them, is starting to point to a failing head gasket as ONE of the possibilities - read our FAQ on the matter of head gaskets and overheating. At least to extensive FAQ threads are a must read.

I suggest that you do an exhaust gas test on the coolant - a cheap and fast way to either verify and remove that possibility from list of possible problems.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:54 PM

could this be a thermostat issue? I picked one up today and figure on changing it later today.
Where is the thermostat located on this machine?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:26 PM

I just drove the car about a touch over 10 miles. On the way back, during the last 3 miles or so the temp gauge went up and stayed about an eighth of a inch above the normal 12 o clock position. As I was coming in the driveway it dropped back to normal.

On an average week day we put on close to 100 miles on the car. Since the original incedent last Sunday it was fine until yesterday(friday) afternoon, (5 days). if there was a headgasket failure wouldn't that be more consistant given the miles we drive? Wouldn't the issue be more prominent?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

sounds to me you are having simular problems i was having. I have replaced the T-Stat, water pump, and had to bleed the system and still tends to run hot after driving around for a long period of time. I noticed that the cap on the overflow tank woudnt hold the coolant in and would seep out so i replaced the cap and it worked for me and hasnt gotten hotter than a tick over the 12 O'clock other wise its at 12 all the time now sofar. since i was told that once the head gasket goes bad it will keep getting hotter and not cool down and get hot and over heat fast not at a slow pace.

So look at the over flow tank cap and see if it looks wet around it and then if not replace the T stat just in case since you might as well anyways if you plan on replacing the waterpump. Keep up posted we'll figure this out.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 PM

I have it apart right now but have to take a break to pick up my son.

As of right now...it does look like coolant has been pushing out around the cap a bit, not a lot. There was not much left of the thermostat rubber, just let pieces of it.

I will keep you updated. BTW, I did replace the water pump last fall. The cap I have not as of yet, I think I will need to order it.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

well not to scare you but today i couldnt figure why when i started my car it was sputtering really bad at first then went away. So i was like ok maybe a bad plug or something then i looked behind me to reverse and well all i saw was white smoke and lots of it! so now i think that my gaskets are blown and will have to see what that'll cost. Jeeze more money that i have to fork out but at least if i get the gaskets fixed i know that the cooling problem will be solved since my car is not leaking coolant on the outside any more and the coolant has some what a gasoline smell too it leads me to believe i have a failing gasket. anyways not to hijack your thread but to inform you of what ive come across. Good luck

Old 04-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Bryan22
I have it apart right now but have to take a break to pick up my son.

As of right now...it does look like coolant has been pushing out around the cap a bit, not a lot. There was not much left of the thermostat rubber, just let pieces of it.

I will keep you updated. BTW, I did replace the water pump last fall. The cap I have not as of yet, I think I will need to order it.
Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac
sounds to me you are having simular problems i was having. I have replaced the T-Stat, water pump, and had to bleed the system and still tends to run hot after driving around for a long period of time. I noticed that the cap on the overflow tank woudnt hold the coolant in and would seep out so i replaced the cap and it worked for me and hasnt gotten hotter than a tick over the 12 O'clock other wise its at 12 all the time now sofar. since i was told that once the head gasket goes bad it will keep getting hotter and not cool down and get hot and over heat fast not at a slow pace.

So look at the over flow tank cap and see if it looks wet around it and then if not replace the T stat just in case since you might as well anyways if you plan on replacing the waterpump. Keep up posted we'll figure this out.

I said it before ...

but to add some more detail, the radiator cap has the primary function of releasing excessive pressure in the cooling system and controlling the overflow due to expansion of fluids .. period.

IF the engine overheats, the cap had nothing to do with it.
BUT if the cap seal is bad, you will LOSE coolant upon expansion of fluids and if you do that enough times, you will have low coolant warnings and could overheat due to low coolant.

Originally Posted by stomper

coolant (radiator) caps do not cause overheating.

the stat, I believe it is located in the water pump cover on the driver side of engine at the lower radiator hose behind the air box.

your symptoms as YOU STATED them, is starting to point to a failing head gasket as ONE of the possibilities - read our FAQ on the matter of head gaskets and overheating. At least to extensive FAQ threads are a must read.

I suggest that you do an exhaust gas test on the coolant - a cheap and fast way to either verify and remove that possibility from list of possible problems.

Last edited by stomper; 04-19-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Certified Members

since its sunday and the repair shops closed what is the average cost to put new gaskets in? ive been getting different answers online and figured somebody has had this done and can give me a definite answer. What sux the most about all this is that this is a replacement engine the previous owner had put in. LoL

Old 04-19-2009, 12:53 PM

I installed the thermostat last night, serviced the engine and replaced the sway bar bolts last night wrapping that up at 2:30am.

Some stop leak was put in the lower hose as requested in the manual. I let it run for a while to get the temp up to normal. everything was fine, no leaks.

We drove it home this morning (my main garage/shop for projects is about 4 miles from the house) I took it down the road first to get her warmed up well so far so good.

We haven't had any sputtering, nothing along those lines at all. Exhuast smells ok, although I know in a head gasket failure pressure can go the other way as well.

Quick Reply: 98 STS gets hot... then not??