General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 STS gets hot... then not??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

ive seen reviews on this stuff and ppl have said it works as long as you follow the instructions and they said it got them by for a year or so and had to do it again. so in the end you may just be causing more problems since most of the people say they would have to start using it more frequently.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 PM

If it would work and give me even couple months it would be great. My thinking is that we can still use the car and it will give me time to look for a decent replacement engine without being desparate and paying too much just to get my hands on an engine.

I tell you, I love this car, the style... everything. I love driving it. But... I am not sure we would have bought one if I'd known the headgasket issue was so common.
My plan is to keep this car and drive it for at least a couple more years. I am figuring on buying a friends CTS at some point as well. I take it GM didn't do anything to correct this problem? (Like the way they ignore the problem with the truck/suburban fuel pump failures)

Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Certified Members

We need to make something clear cuz when people come here and point to GM as the culprit, without knowing the facts or by outright ignoring the facts, it hurts all of us, specially our car values.

It is popular these days to dump on American cars, without knowing what the facts are, it doesnt make it fair.

EVERY ALUMINUM engine out there has this so called weakness. From GM to Ford, to Honda, Toyota, MB, Porsche, etc., etc.

ALSO know that every aluminum engine out there WILL OUTLAST the old school iron engines IF maintained properly, something most folks tend to not talk about. The mileage that our modern cars can an do pile up is impressive when compared to the cars of the past.

Every headgasket failure can be traced to an event of either lack of maintenance and an overheat caused by other factors like a blown hose, failed pump, etc., followed by OPERATOR ERROR.

IF your car has a failed headgasket, your engine went through one or more of those events.
The same thing would happen if your car was an MB or any other.

Your only solution is to buy a non-aluminum engine car. lol

The only thing GM has done to MY dissatisfaction is to promote the coolant life beyond what it should be .. HOWEVER, THAT WAS DICTATED BY our wonderful government folks in the EPA. So we promote the 24 month coolant change since the EPA has no say so in this site.

GM will NOT and cannot change their tune when it comes to coolant. They answer to a higher God .. the EPA!
None of this had anything to do with Suburbans and fuel pumps .. please, lets not muddy the waters.

Originally Posted by Bryan22
If it would work and give me even couple months it would be great. My thinking is that we can still use the car and it will give me time to look for a decent replacement engine without being desparate and paying too much just to get my hands on an engine.

I tell you, I love this car, the style... everything. I love driving it. But... I am not sure we would have bought one if I'd known the headgasket issue was so common.
My plan is to keep this car and drive it for at least a couple more years. I am figuring on buying a friends CTS at some point as well. I take it GM didn't do anything to correct this problem? (Like the way they ignore the problem with the truck/suburban fuel pump failures)
Originally Posted by stomper
With the summer upon us, the cars are overheating here and there. The questions re coming in abundance and usually, without the details needed to make an assessment.

Before you place your question, think about what you read in our FAQ on the subject of overheating.

The conditions as to how the car overheats, DO matter. We need to know if car was ..

- your definition of overheat
- driving in city stop and go traffic
- driving at high speed, level road
- driving at high speed, incline and overheated ONLY THEN.
- ambient conditions, ie .. rain, snow, sunny, 60F or 80F or 100F
- AC on or AC OFF
- will the heater blow HOT AIR
- are the RADIATOR FANS working
- do the radiator fans come on when the AC is turned on
- when it overheats, are the hoses HARD and HOT or are they soft or cool
- when it overheats, comparing to another car, is the exhaust flowing less
- last change of belt
- last change of coolant
- did the cooling system get burped after changing the coolant
- coolant is clear or muddy
- leaks of coolant, smells of coolant
- coolant does not leak but you have to add some now and then
- white smoke on a warm day (not cold morning starts)
- transmission low in fluid or filled to the MAX
- crank case oil low or filled to the MAX
- mileage
- tires inflated properly
- sounds and noises when it overheats
- did you pull over or continued driving it another 5 miles home after the overheat

Those are most of the items .. there may be more but that would help a lot.

Last edited by stomper; 05-01-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Default 98 STS hot... then not update.

Just an update here. I has been 2 weeks since I treat our STS engine (likey a headgasket issue) with the K & W treatment. So far the temp gauge has not bumped anywhere above the 12 o clock position. So far so good.

I will keep you posted as the original thread has been closed.

Say, how do I send a member a private message?

Thanks,

Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

glad to hear..... as far as private message. go into the profile of the one you want to send message. top left, it will say "send_ _ _ _ a private message" chick there and your on your way to sending the message....
good luck.... oh, your orginal post was not closed, it just moved down the line some. no biggy, a moderator can fix it for ya, if he catches it
rickyd

Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

how goes it after two months?

Originally Posted by Bryan22
Just an update here. I has been 2 weeks since I treat our STS engine (likey a headgasket issue) with the K & W treatment. So far the temp gauge has not bumped anywhere above the 12 o clock position. So far so good.

I will keep you posted as the original thread has been closed.

Say, how do I send a member a private message?

Thanks,

Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 PM

I know this is an old post but did it fix the problem?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 AM

I had the same problem (getting hot and then not) and my problem has been solved. It was one of the three fan relays. I replaced all three so I am sorry to say that I am not sure which one it was. From what I understand these fans have three speeds. One relay kicks in for Idle in park, one more for driving and all three kick in for Idling in gear. Fixed for less than $75.00! I hope that this solves your problem too!

Last edited by markbowman3; 08-26-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM

The thermostat stuck. After it cooled down a bit it began to function correctly. I would change it ........ it will fail again.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM

The thermostat stuck ..... Once the engine coolant dropped in temp, the Thermostat cleared. This is not a big deal ..... Time to change it .... it will fail again.

Quick Reply: 98 STS gets hot... then not??