General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 Seville Electrical/Wiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Default 85 Seville Electrical/Wiring Problem

Ok first off I have a 1985 Cadillac Seville with some electrical problems. If you are in the car with the doors shut listening to the radio and you open any of the doors the radio goes out and resets itself to 1:00 and 1400 AM. I've checked everything I can and found that the problem is coming from the door panel lights, whenever those lights come on the radio display power goes out. Also, the courtesy lights that are under the dash by your feet never go on when you open the doors like they are supposed to. But if you push in the main lighter in the middle of the dash, those courtesy lights come on. The lighter never gets hot it just acts as an on button for those lights. So here's how everything is related. If you are in the car with the doors shut with the radio on and you push in the lighter, the radio goes out. If you have the lighter pushed in so the courtesy lights are on and you open a door, the courtesy lights go out. Even if you turn the headlight switch to the left to turn on the interior lights the radio will go out. So some how those three things; the radio, the lighter, and the floor courtesy lights are related and do not work together. Can some one please help me? Thanks

Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 85 Seville Electrical/Wiring Problem

Wow, talk about funky. I will try, I will print off wiring diagrams so I can check out your dash catastrophy.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 85 Seville Electrical/Wiring Problem

Check the yellow 20 amp body fuse. You are describing a feed back thru the courtesy lights. Do your power door locks still work? They usually quit as well when that fuse fails. Most likely caused by a piece of tin foil, penny, dime etc in a lighter socket, so check all 4 lighters. that fuse also enables the memory feature for the radio. Depressing the lighter provides a ground which was lost when the fuse popped.