General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

57 CdV front drum and hub separation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Default 57 CdV front drum and hub separation

I have to get my old hubs out and inserted into my new drums. I need to know all the pitfalls and how to do it successfully. I'm in Queensland Australia and the car is a 1957 Series 62 CDV Caddy

Old 03-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

Have access to a press and suitable fixtures so as not to distort the flange or the new drum. It doesn't take much to end up with a vibration. I would sub it out if possible. If that is not an option: You will need a press. a piece of pipe a little bit larger in diameter than hub. Depending on how wheel studs fit original drum you may want to press them out first. Then supporting drum on pipe press hub from drum. Clean flange of any rust. Use the studs and nuts to align hub to drum, then press hub on drum. Then press wheel studs in. You will need to check run out on hub before you start, then the flange by itself, and then after reassembled. A brake lathe would my choice but the spindle will work. Using spindle the wheel bearings should have slight drag or no end play. Run out needs to less than .010"

Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 PM

I don't have a press so will have to sub it out.. when adjusting the new shoes, can I just adjust up till drum is locked then back of a couple of terms or is it imperative to do what the manual says and undo parts of the front suspension and bang with a hammer then shove feeler gauges in through the drum slots and take measurements??

Old 03-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Certified Members

There is a spanner type tool that can get you in the ball park. Adjusting drum brakes is the same old thing it always has been, adjust shoes out until they just drag a bit. With front drums, if one side is looser than the other pulling can occur. Brake shoe design changed during the late 60-70s so I wouldn't be doing the feeler gauge thing. You do want to be sure brake pedal height is correct with brakes applied. If the pedal is low it could be that shoes are not far enough out.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:09 AM

Thanks for helping on a few questions Slowroll, it much appreciated.
I have just put a kit into my oil pump, and have had a sleeve inserted into the vacuum pump as the carbon flappers had worn a hole right through the casing.
Individually both sections move freely but when I bolt them together the whole lot becomes very hard to move. I tried everything today to get them to move freely but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Old 03-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Tech Certified Members

I'm not sure what you are working on. Can you post a picture(s)?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM

Its the oil pump/vacuum pump on the 365 caddy engine. Will try and get a photo on here.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Certified Members

I am unable to find a diagram or picture of the pump. I would contact the Cadillac - LaSalle Club. They are an excellent resource.

Cadillac & LaSalle Club