General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 CTS Throttle Body PROBLEMS!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Unhappy 2003 CTS Throttle Body PROBLEMS!!

I have been back and forth from the dealership 4 times total. It was first for a check engine light that came on with throttle body codes along with a service idle control error message and the occasional reduced engine power warning and real reduced engine power. (Logically..to stop me from driving into a brick wall or off a cliff like them toyotas) I also had some jerking in my downshift (especially at stop signs) I have changed out the throttle body twice in total as well as the harness for the throttle body but the damn problems persist. The last time i was at the dealership they didnt charge me, the master mechanic there pulled me aside and told me that this is a "ghost" check engine light and they dont know how to fix it without spending thousands. My family mechanic told me to insure it and burn it... But im not into that stupid ****, i just need to find someone that can fix it. Has anyone, anyone, anyone had the same problems and found a solution? I love this car and would hate to get rid of it if I dont have to. Please help, i will check back in and appreciate any help.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Certified Members

New or used parts? With out scanner its all guessing. Dealer should have Vehicle Data Recorder or VDR which records engine data when triggered by operator. Has dealer done all the repairs?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 PM

yes dealer has done all repairs, but they have told me that they could change out the PCM but that would cost a couple thousand and not gaurantee the fix.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Certified Members

Provided this is a Cadillac authorized dealer - You need to move up the dealership management chain, ie...Service manager, his boss, his boss...etc. Also contact Cadillac customer assistance in regards to concern. Explain the situation, you have spent money, condition still not corrected, need car fixed but don't want to guess with anymore money,and would appreciate discount if additional costs are required due to inconvenice. Demanding free is not necessarily going to get you anywhere, (Free requires knowing cost to correct)"Being Fair" should get you further. Have all your paperwork when you talk them, especially Cadillac - date, invoice/RO number, and what you spent on this concern only(not invoice total unless it is only repair performed). Good luck and post what they say.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Default Pcm issues

If you need a pcm, you can get one for 450 ready to go, i did it for my 04 cts, i also did the relearn myself, i did not have to go to the dealer for it.if you need more info let me know.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Did you ever get it fixed? If so what was the solution?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Default PCM issues

Sure a while back. Purchased a used unit, took it to a friend, he tuned it with gm software and etched the vin number in the computer. Installed in caddy did the relearn myself. The car will activate the theft lock if the relearn is not performed correctly. Takes ten minutes of your time and no mechanic needed at all. As far as the throttle body. They always have to be cleaned. Take it out and clean out the gunk, do nt purchase a new one. Any questions just ask

Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Thumbs up The cause of reduced engine power

All of us thats having this problem with our cars feel we are at a dead end on the solution. Is it possible each year the quality of gas goes down. One of the problems could have to do with ethanol. After reading all I could on ethanol, I found that it cause a number of problems because of it's composition. Is it possible burning good gas could solve our problem. If not what have we really lost. Good luck

Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 AM

1998 Seville STS
Service Idle Control DIC *NEW*
Oreilly sells Bardahl - Fuel System Additive Part Number: 5010W ($12)
Add to a full tank

Old 03-13-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by brianCTS2003
I have been back and forth from the dealership 4 times total. It was first for a check engine light that came on with throttle body codes along with a service idle control error message and the occasional reduced engine power warning and real reduced engine power. (Logically..to stop me from driving into a brick wall or off a cliff like them toyotas) I also had some jerking in my downshift (especially at stop signs) I have changed out the throttle body twice in total as well as the harness for the throttle body but the damn problems persist. The last time i was at the dealership they didnt charge me, the master mechanic there pulled me aside and told me that this is a "ghost" check engine light and they dont know how to fix it without spending thousands. My family mechanic told me to insure it and burn it... But im not into that stupid ****, i just need to find someone that can fix it. Has anyone, anyone, anyone had the same problems and found a solution? I love this car and would hate to get rid of it if I dont have to. Please help, i will check back in and appreciate any help.
Hello, I am wondering if you ever got the problem solved. I have same car and problem with it.

Quick Reply: 2003 CTS Throttle Body PROBLEMS!!