General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Deville - Engine overheated, engine coolant leaking, it tells me to change engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Default 2000 Deville - Engine overheated, engine coolant leaking, it tells me to change engine oil?

So I was driving out to the DMV today and my dash tells me that my engine is overheated, idle engine, coolant overheating, and change engine oil. When I get home the engine coolant tank is just about empty and the engine coolant is leaking all over the garage floor.
Isn't there some sort of waring signal that comes on the dash when the engine coolant is low? I never got that warning. And I don't understand why it's telling me to change my oil because I just changed it less than a month ago.
I'm taking it to the dealership tomarrow to have it checked out. Now I know just about nothing about cars, do you guys think that the engine was simply overheating because of the leaking engine coolant, or do you think the engine coolant started to leak because of some problem that cause the overheating? And also with leaking coolant, and an overheating engine, what do you guys think the problem is? I don't want them to try and charge me for something that isn't even wrong at the dealership.

And I'm really wondering why it's telling me to change my engine oil when it was just changed a month ago? Before it started saying that it said the oil like was 94%. This car does burn alot of oil though, its almost low enough where I need to add a couple quarts, and I just changed it a month ago.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 2000 Deville - Engine overheated, engine coolant leaking, it tells me to change engine oil?

Low coolant light should of come as coolant level dropped. As engine temp increases oil life will clicks off faster. Engine running til or after stop engine hot message. Could go from 100% to 0% in a short period of time. My guess leak is water pump or hose.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Default RE: 2000 Deville - Engine overheated, engine coolant leaking, it tells me to change engine oil?

Well I just heard back from the dealership, according to them it was a bad thermostat and the coolant was leaking because of some overflow resivour or something. Total cost for a new thermostat, coolant flush, transmision fluid flush, parts and labor comes out to around $520! Damn, cars are money pits!

So if I actually knew a little something about cars how easy would this have been for me to find out and fix my self and how much would it have cost me if I would have fixed it myself?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 420Deville

Well I just heard back from the dealership, according to them it was a bad thermostat and the coolant was leaking because of some overflow resivour or something. Total cost for a new thermostat, coolant flush, transmision fluid flush, parts and labor comes out to around $520! Damn, cars are money pits!

So if I actually knew a little something about cars how easy would this have been for me to find out and fix my self and how much would it have cost me if I would have fixed it myself?

Lets see ..

beer = $15
Stat = $12
2 gal Coolant = $18
trani filter kit and fluid = $35
flush = skip
time = 3 hrs

I probably would have changed the RAD hoses .. both hoses = $40
and the belt = $35
time = 1 hr

burning 2 qt of oil? oil change message?
dont sound right.

details? mileage, etc ..

Old 11-10-2007, 06:29 PM

It's got 737,000 miles. I just put in a quart of oil and that was enough to fill her up. That thing does burn through alot of oil though, in between my last oil change I had gotten the message "check oil lever" and added 2 quarts. And then about 3-4 weeks later I went and got my oil changed and they said there wasn't even any oil on the dipstick.

At the dealership they said my oil life is fine, it just gave that message because the engine was so hot that it straines the oil mor or something like that.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

Oil life - engine operating temp.major factor. Burning oil not uncommon due to carbon build up, causing oil rings to stick. There is a WOT thread you might try it. I, myself haven't but would just to see the results.