General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Deville Wont Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Default 98 Deville Wont Start!!!

Well I am new to the forum as I just picked up my 98 Deville a few weeks ago for a commuter car. BUT it is already out of commision.

I was having problems with the battery staying charged so I took it into the shop and got a new alternator and battery. Seemed to work fine for a week or two, but then it started flashing "theft system problem. . .car may not restart". After that flashed the speedometer would start going crazy and flashing random numbers for my speed. However the car would always restart and I thought it was just a glitch in the computer system. UNTIL the other day I went to start my car and nothing happened. I figured I left lights on or something, but even when I try to jump the car it will not jump. Also I cannot hear the starter clicking, but I didnt think it was the starter because the repair shop checked it when they replaced the battery and alternator. Is there any other explaination for this? Or is it definitely the starter? I just dont want to have to remove the starter to find out it was something else. Oh and battery and alternator are in fact good. Anyone seen this problem and have any insight? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 Deville Wont Start!!!

Do you have a second key? Try it.Could be a bad ground though.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Nope no 2nd key. . . why do you think it is the key?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM

And wouldnt I still here the starter click even if it was a bad ground?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

You stated you had theft deterent message come up on dic. Theft deterent system will dissable starter among other things. This may be the cause of your concern. If security light does not go out after about 10 sec.after turning key,that what would has looked at. Another possible cause is the ground cable is loose where it attaches to block. Hope it helps

Old 10-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Oh ok where is the security light and I will go check that now. . . I hope it is a bad ground and not the starter [:@]

Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Security light is on cluster.Battery cable attaches to stud on front head. Hope it helps

Old 10-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SanAnCaddyMan

Nope no 2nd key. . . why do you think it is the key?
That little pellet in the key is a resistor that the security system reads when you put it in the ignition. If it is worn out it may not produce the proper resistence so the system will think someone is stealing the car then do what slowroll says, disable the starter etc...

Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 PM

The key is fine because the security light went off a few seconds after I turned the key to the ON postition. . . I am going to try and see if it is a grounding problem. Could someone be my hero and help me out with what I need to do? Thanks you guys have been a great help!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

I am going to suggest disconnection the ground at the battery for a few minutes. While it is off, clean the terminal on the batterry and the lead, reconnect and try to start. Disconnection may reset memory in computer an allow car to start.

Quick Reply: 98 Deville Wont Start!!!