General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Seville SLS ABS and TRACTION lights on, speed limited to 90mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Default 1998 Seville SLS ABS and TRACTION lights on, speed limited to 90mph

I just bought this car for $2400. It has 120k on it and has a TRACTION light and ABS light that stay on all the time, they dont blink or ever turn off unless the cars off. Also my speed is limited to 90MPH. I pulled the codes and there are no ABS codes, the only codes that came up current are a PCM p1652 and a IPC u1255. I cleared the codes and did some driving and checked again and same codes show up.

Also It seems like it has no 1st gear( revs up to 3k max when i floor it at lower speeds, once im going at highway speeds you hit the gas and it flies. Ive seen this combination of lights and no 1st gear in a few different forums but i havent been able to find an answer to what it was that would cause this.

if anyone could help thatd be great! thanks
Also Ive had some people say its probably a wheel speed sensor but there are no ABS codes.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 AM

I would also like to ad that i checked the codes again today and its also reading PCM 1602 and PCM 1611 codes too. both as current.

another thing i saw in another forum was that someone said that low voltage can cause all kinds of problems like this. The battery readout says 14.x volts "OK" could ok be a bad thing or should everything work fine with it?

Last edited by chriseisenbraun9; 06-05-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

P1652 - Powertrain Induced Chassis Pitch Output Circuit
P1602 - Knock Sensor (KS) Module Performance
P1611 - Loss of CVRTD Serial Data
U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

Not sure what kind of problem you have on your hands, but thats what the codes mean. I think the P1652 has something to do with the transmision or suspention not sure hopefully some one knows a lil more than me. LOL Also the knock sensor, under the intake manifold, is malfunctioning limiting engine ignition control.

Last edited by 92_Daddylac; 06-05-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 PM

thanks a lot. now that i know what the codes stand for im kind of scared to know anymore. It doesnt seem like theres anything wrong with it. it rides real smooth, drives straight down the road, shifts smooth and timely it seems like. when idling there arent any wierd noises, no knocking thats for sure. The car seems very sound, i hope theres one common problem thats causing these codes to show, i just bought it and spent most of my money on this and a new motorcycle last week lol

another thing to ad is that the washer fluid pump is bad so i dont know if thatd set a code or not

Last edited by chriseisenbraun9; 06-05-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac
P1652 - Powertrain Induced Chassis Pitch Output Circuit
P1602 - Knock Sensor (KS) Module Performance
P1611 - Loss of CVRTD Serial Data
U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

Not sure what kind of problem you have on your hands, but thats what the codes mean. I think the P1652 has something to do with the transmision or suspention not sure hopefully some one knows a lil more than me. LOL Also the knock sensor, under the intake manifold, is malfunctioning limiting engine ignition control.
that is quite a mix.

before you start trowing $$$ at it, check your harness and connectors, clean and lub with di-electric .. you may well solve the problem there.

I used to "fix" computers and my 99% usual was to arrive at the scene, open the computer, blow the dust off, disconnect all connectors, clean contacts, and reassemble. Computers usually worked fine afterward, then I walked away with my fee for the house call. Rarely did I had to do diagnostics after that.

Even if I did run into a faulty component, that cleaning had to be done for the computer to operate smoothly in the future.

Last edited by Stealth; 06-05-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Alright im definately going to try that then in a little while. thanks a lot

Old 06-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Well i looked at it last night and realized that 3 thick wires coming off the front passenger side wheel area were all cut off. It looks like the car bottomed out hardcore and part of the frame cut right thru them. heres a picture of the wires. theres definately a sensor missing or something that the top set of wires thats clipped on by the rotor goes to. its two think black wires that are cut. and theres nothing else in the area that is cut off so whatever it is its gone completely.

if anyone could help me identify what each of these wires are for and what is missing id appreciate it! i know this definately has something to do with the abs and traction control lights.

thanks

Name:  IMG_4081.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  79.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4079.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  69.6 KB

Old 06-20-2009, 09:55 PM

so i just found out that thos wires are cut on both sides of the front end. and while i had to back seat off to install a power cable for my stereo i realized that there was no abs fuse. I put a 10A fuse in and now the traction control works, car feels like it has first gear now (gets up a lot quicker from a stop) and also i have no abs or traction light anymore. My rear brake pads and rotors are junk, and have been since i got the car, and now it says to change them which it diddnt say before. So that abs fuse must have fixed whatever reads the thickness of the pads too.

But im still limited to 90 mph/ is that just because of the brake pads????

Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 PM

No, the limited to 90 is cause possibly because a suspension problem, I am trying to find out where you plug the scanner at since I have plugged a scanner on the plug between the pedals and the steering wheel but I don't get any codes, so I think there may be another place to plug the scanner at, so if you know where let me know.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Default 1998 Seville SLS ABS and TRACTION lights on speed limited to 90mph

Id imagine it stands for cluster, as in gauge cluster ... which is my guess for the lights. Other than that, maybe the wiring on the cd player is screwed up and its causing a short circuit?

Quick Reply: 1998 Seville SLS ABS and TRACTION lights on, speed limited to 90mph