General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Deville Security Problem..... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Default 1998 Deville Security Problem..... HELP!!!

Ok, I've got a 1998 Deville with roughly 90k miles. Now about a year ago it started giving me some problems. When I'd go to start it to leave, it would light up, chime, the whole nine yards, but once I turned the key to engage the starter, everything would black out and act as if the battery was dead! So normally I'd get a jump from someone and after a few minutes it would start.

Then one day I was getting ready to go to work and it just wouldn't start....PERIOD! It said, "Security Problem"... then "Car May Not Start"... then "Starting Disabled"... then "Remove Key"! SO I replaced the ignition switch with the VATS wire and it came with 2 "dummy" keys without the pellet in them. Now I installed the ignition switch and tried to start it.... SAME DAMN PROBLEM! So then I went out and grabbed a new battery and put that in. Now I never thought about taking one of the "dummy" keys to the dealer to have a original key with the pellet (resistor) cut, haha.

But anyways, since then I've doneA LOT of reading and have since cut the orange wire that comes from the new ignition to the bundle of wires in the connector.Then I went to the dealer and discovered that out of the 15 possible #'s of keys, mine was a #10, which is a resistenceof 3740. So now my problem is,inside the orange wire there are 2 white wires. Which after I cut & spliced them, I now have 4 white wires. First off, where do I get a resistor with the 3740??? Radio Shack and everyone else acts like it dosen't exist! Then, how exactly does the resistor get installed (a pic or even handdrawn example in MS Paint would be GREAT)???

So then this brings me to my final question. Say I install this resistor and still nothing happens. What are my other possibilities??? The Dealer to get raped??? Hell, they wanted $500 to put in the new ignition and I got it for $65 and installed it in 35 minutes, hahaha! PLEASE help me here!!!! I'm on my last leg and REALLY need to get this car running for my father, who is 71 years old. His car blew its motor and without any transportation it could be life threatening with his medical condition! I'd really appreciate ANY and ALL help!!! I'll also get some pics of where I'm at later and post them......

Old 03-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Default RE: 1998 Deville Security Problem..... HELP!!!

Ok unkut, here's what you do.The resistance for the key is 3.74k ohms but you won't find an exact match so you have to make it. Take two 1.5k ohms resistors and wire them in series to get 3k ohms(series means one after the other like a chain) then connect a 700 or 800 ohm resistor to create 3.7k or 3.8k ohm resistance. It doesn't have to be exactly 3.74k ohms so between 3.7 and 3.8 will be fine.The morons at Radio Shack should have told youhow to make a 3.74k resistance that you needed. Now to wire it in the car you use the wires going into the harness, not the ones going to the ignition.Solder one end of the resistance to one wire and the other end to the other wire,it doesn't matter which wire you do first.Something Ishould have explained first is how to connect the resistors.Each resistor has 4 or 5 color bands on it,look for the thickest one which is the front of the resistor.Then to wire them in series, wire the front of the second resistor to the back of the first resistor then do the same for the third. After you wire it in start the car and wait 1 to 2 minutes so the system can reset itself. Hope this helps you out.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 AM

Ok, a couple of questions. You say wire it in the wire coming from the harness, NOT the ignition??? And once you peel back the orange wire, there are 2 white wires inside. So, once you cut and peel back those 2 white wires, you then have 4 whit wires ready to be used. What one of the 4 do I use??? What about the 2 I don't use??? Would it be any trouble for you to maybe draw the process with Microsoft Paint or something so I can get a visual??? If so, I'd appreciate it more then you could ever imagine!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

if you cant figure out what "anto" is explaining, here is more possible help ...

i dont know about the VATS other than you can make a "BYPASS WIRE"
carrying one is highly recommended by '89 or later GM car owners.
see item #13 in this posting:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_6038/tm.htm

my cars dont use VATS, and i dont know how to make one.
the day i have a VATS car, i will learn and carry one.

however, these folks may be able to help you on HOW to make one.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7erz1/i...ml#doihave30hz

http://users.erols.com/rserret/keesmartpg.html

Old 03-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

unkut, I am reading all of this and wondering why you didn't get the spare key and try that. My 98 came with 3 sets of keys from the dealer. Sometimes the pellets wear down over time and start sending sketchy signals. More often than not the other keys work fine. To trick the car the neg terminalon the battery needs to be disconnected for a few minutes then reconnected. Another trick is to get in the car and put the key in the ignition and lock and unlock the doors. Take the key out and put it back in and start, usually works but then you have to get another key because it is warning you.Hope this is not too confusing.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:14 PM

Everything is lighting up like normal.... and as soon as I twist it a little more to engage the starter.... everything blacks out!

Old 04-01-2007, 04:05 AM

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner.The wires coming from the switch go into a harness under the dash. This harness has alot of wires so you can't miss it.You have to cut the white wires comingfrom the switch about two inches before the harness to connect the resistance.You will now have 4 white wires,two from the switch and two from the harness.The resistance that you made(I'm guessing youwere able to make the resistance)goes connected to the white wires that go into the harness and it does'nt matter which wire you connect first or which way the resistance is connected.The other two wires that go tothe switch aren't used so tape themup.So I guess that's it and I hope it works out.(P.S. If this still confuses you, find someone with electrical experience or just get a new key)

Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM

is there anyway to make the computer learn a new vats chip?i just bought a 1990 eldorado and it didnt have the chip but still started until it eventually stopped.i went to the junk yard and pulled a cylinder lock and key out of an 89 is there any way i can get the computer to learn the new key?