General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Seville SLS overheating when driving over 40 mph and heater blowing cold air!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Default 1996 Seville SLS overheating when driving over 40 mph and heater blowing cold air!

Hey, I bought this 96 seville for a really good deal with only 2 owners before me that were both old people that babied it. Its at 120k miles and overheats when driving past 40 mph. It can idle all day in the driveway and the needle will stay in the middle of the thermom no problem ( a tad slight past middle actually). Also has no leaks,can pass a pressure test fine at 15lbs psi (the cooling system idk about cap). The water pump also spins and the belt is on good. The heater is also always blowing cold and the cold air works just fine. Maybe its air stuck in the heater core? I just filled the radiator with 50/50 of orange radiator fluid not long ago so maybe its still purging air? I filled it at first, drove it around let it cool down, and filled it more, and repeated a few times and its filled about 3 inches under the radiator cap which seems right to me.

It also has no heat out of all vents (front and back). We just replaced the thermostat with one from NAPA, and the radiator from pep boys. I also replaced the rear metal heater tubes because they rusted out with rubber ones.
Also checked my purge line flow I disconnected it from the surge tank and it kind of has a steady flow, not a strong steady flow, but it was like strongly trickling out I guess you could say haha. I replaced the whole 3/8 metal tube that runs under the beauty cover because the old one had a bunch of corrosion inside it and looked like it was filling with crap. The last owner had stop leak put in for a radiator leak but not much I could tell when I was going through the cooling system.

The only part Im concerned about is the hollow nut that people are always talking about, the problem is I have no idea what that is. If someone had a picture or something that would be great because ive never checked it.

What do you think the problem is? this overheating issue is bugging me and I would greatly appreciate some help, thanks! Want my beauty back on the road! This is confusing me Im thinking either head gasket, air stu Hey, I bought this 96 seville for a really good deal with only 2 owners before me that were both old people that babied it. Its at 120k miles and overheats when driving past 40 mph. It can idle all day in the driveway and the needle will stay in the middle of the thermom no problem ( a tad slight past middle actually). Also has no leaks,can pass a pressure test fine at 15lbs psi (the cooling system idk about cap). The water pump also spins and the belt is on good. The heater is also always blowing cold and the cold air works just fine. Maybe its air stuck in the heater core? I just filled the radiator with 50/50 of orange radiator fluid not long ago so maybe its still purging air? I filled it at first, drove it around let it cool down, and filled it more, and repeated a few times and its filled about 3 inches under the radiator cap which seems right to me.

It also has no heat out of all vents (front and back). We just replaced the thermostat with one from NAPA, and the radiator from pep boys. I also replaced the rear metal heater tubes because they rusted out with rubber ones.
Also checked my purge line flow I disconnected it from the surge tank and it kind of has a steady flow, not a strong steady flow, but it was like strongly trickling out I guess you could say haha. I replaced the whole 3/8 metal tube that runs under the beauty cover because the old one had a bunch of corrosion inside it and looked like it was filling with crap. The last owner had stop leak put in for a radiator leak but not much I could tell when I was going through the cooling system.

The only part Im concerned about is the hollow nut that people are always talking about, the problem is I have no idea what that is. If someone had a picture or something that would be great because ive never checked it.

What do you think the problem is? this overheating issue is bugging me and I would greatly appreciate some help, thanks! Want my beauty back on the road! This is confusing me Im thinking either head gasket, air stuck in heater core, or clogged hollow nut, but idk. Its also not displaying any head gasket failure symptons besides overheating, has no steam coming from tail pipes, passed smog easy, starts up good, no shaking of engine or anything runs very strong and smooth.

Last edited by AlexG; 01-21-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexG
Hey, I bought this 96 seville for a really good deal with only 2 owners before me that were both old people that babied it. Its at 120k miles and overheats when driving past 40 mph. It can idle all day in the driveway and the needle will stay in the middle of the thermom no problem ( a tad slight past middle actually). Also has no leaks,can pass a pressure test fine at 15lbs psi (the cooling system idk about cap). The water pump also spins and the belt is on good. The heater is also always blowing cold and the cold air works just fine. Maybe its air stuck in the heater core? I just filled the radiator with 50/50 of orange radiator fluid not long ago so maybe its still purging air? I filled it at first, drove it around let it cool down, and filled it more, and repeated a few times and its filled about 3 inches under the radiator cap which seems right to me.

What do you think the problem is? this overheating issue is bugging me and I would greatly appreciate some help, thanks! Want my beauty back on the road! This is confusing me Im thinking either head gasket, air stu Hey, I bought this 96 seville for a really good deal with only 2 owners before me that were both old people that babied it. Its at 120k miles and overheats when driving past 40 mph. It can idle all day in the driveway and the needle will stay in the middle of the thermom no problem ( a tad slight past middle actually). Also has no leaks,can pass a pressure test fine at 15lbs psi (the cooling system idk about cap). The water pump also spins and the belt is on good. The heater is also always blowing cold and the cold air works just fine. Maybe its air stuck in the heater core? I just filled the radiator with 50/50 of orange radiator fluid not long ago so maybe its still purging air? I filled it at first, drove it around let it cool down, and filled it more, and repeated a few times and its filled about 3 inches under the radiator cap which seems right to me.

What do you think the problem is? this overheating issue is bugging me and I would greatly appreciate some help, thanks! Want my beauty back on the road! This is confusing me Im thinking either head gasket, air stuck in heater core, or clogged hollow nut, but idk. Its also not displaying any head gasket failure symptons besides overheating, has no steam coming from tail pipes, passed smog easy, starts up good, no shaking of engine or anything runs very strong and smooth.
heater blowing cold air sound like coolant is not getting there,

overheating at speed is a typical headgasket failure ..
see our FAQ on the subject ..

Old 01-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
heater blowing cold air sound like coolant is not getting there,

overheating at speed is a typical headgasket failure ..
see our FAQ on the subject ..

While it was running, I recently felt the heater hoses connecting to the heater core and they felt pretty cold to me, while the other felt very hot. I recently did the heater tube bypass replacement with rubber tubes, maybe that the problem creating a high point in the heating system? Should I put the oem metal tubes back in or does it sound like an early stage of the headgasket going?

Thanks for your help! Oh yeah messed up my first post a lil double pasted it

Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM

any ideas ?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 AM

While it was running, I recently felt the heater hoses connecting to the heater core and they felt pretty cold to me, while the other felt very hot.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ThereGraye
While it was running, I recently felt the heater hoses connecting to the heater core and they felt pretty cold to me, while the other felt very hot.
and how can i fix this ?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM

annnnybody know ?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 AM

I don't know if this would pertain to your car or not but I once had A car that would run all day long just fine and cool as long as you didn't drive it then it would overheat like yours. I found it to be the electric cooling fan wired backwards which would blow plenty of air but foreward but once you went down the road the inrush of air towards the back would result in no air flow. I don't know if you had electric or mechanical fan but its worth checking out. If its mechanical did someone in the past put on the wrong fan? Let me know what you find!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by proud american rider
I don't know if this would pertain to your car or not but I once had A car that would run all day long just fine and cool as long as you didn't drive it then it would overheat like yours. I found it to be the electric cooling fan wired backwards which would blow plenty of air but foreward but once you went down the road the inrush of air towards the back would result in no air flow. I don't know if you had electric or mechanical fan but its worth checking out. If its mechanical did someone in the past put on the wrong fan? Let me know what you find!
Its electric, ill take a look today and report back.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by AlexG
Its electric, ill take a look today and report back.
Fans seem to be operating fine, but she stills overheats!!!!

Note, started it up after doing a pressure test yesterday and it blew heavy white steam out the exhaust for about 30 seconds, then it went away???????
Sound like a head gasket??? or cracked block?

Please help, im in need of desperate help. If anybody can help me that would be great thanks! Thinking about just getting a used motor from the junk yard.

Oh and when I do the pressure test it holds at 15 lbs for awhile but under the engine I can see little tiny drops of coolant forming (like right directly under engine, not the metal heater tubes. Its leaking like if its coming out the block, the leak is so minor I dont really look coolant from it, sound like a cracked block??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Seville SLS overheating when driving over 40 mph and heater blowing cold air!