General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Cadillac deville won't start when engine is hot

Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Default 1995 Cadillac deville won't start when engine is hot

Hi guys im new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1995 cadillac deville. The car will start when it has been sitting for a while, but when the engine is hot it will not start. The motor turns over very slow for a second and then nothing at all. I tried jumpstarting the car off of a friends truck and it just turned over real slow a couple times and then nothing at all. This makes me think that its not the battery. If you let it sit after this happens for a while then it will start up. I put new spark plugs in it and changed the oil the other day. The last time i went to start the car i turned the key andthe dash lights came on but it did not turn over (this was after it had been sittingall night too). Also the car seems to sputter a little bit sometimes but not real bad. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks for the help.

-Matt

Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 1995 Cadillac deville won't start when engine is hot

ORIGINAL: mmayer

Hi guys im new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1995 cadillac deville. The car will start when it has been sitting for a while, but when the engine is hot it will not start. The motor turns over very slow for a second and then nothing at all. I tried jumpstarting the car off of a friends truck and it just turned over real slow a couple times and then nothing at all. This makes me think that its not the battery. If you let it sit after this happens for a while then it will start up. I put new spark plugs in it and changed the oil the other day. The last time i went to start the car i turned the key andthe dash lights came on but it did not turn over (this was after it had been sittingall night too). Also the car seems to sputter a little bit sometimes but not real bad. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks for the help.

-Matt
i would put my money on one of two things:

- bad ground
- dying starter

I highlighted the key items that leads me to that conclusion

check the codes for more info and post them.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 PM

alright thanks. Do you happen to know where the ground is located? Also the starter... i think its in the front of the motor by the manifold but imnot positive. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: mmayer

I was wondering where the starter is located on my 1995 deville 4.9L? I am away at school right now so i havent had a chance to look.

Thanks,
Matt
ORIGINAL: stomper

take a few beers .. sit down, take a deep breath !

if you pull the intake manifold, after disconnecting all the tubes, hoses and wires, you will see the Grand Canyon .. and a beer can like object at the bottom of the canyon ..

that, my friends, be the starter.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4.9 or 4.6, makes one heck ofa difference.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 1995 Cadillac deville won't start

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

Is this a 4.9 or 4.6, makes one heck ofa difference.
Katz,

good catch!

sure does .. I missed that bit of detail.